Saturday, July 28, 2007

CHAPTER 7, PAGE 28

The Power of Holding Hands

By Rabbi Harold Kushner

I was sitting on a beach one summer day, watching two children, a boy and a girl, playing in the sand. They were hard at work building an elaborate sand castle by the water's edge, with gates and towers and moats and internal passages.

Just when they had nearly finished their project, a big wave came along and knocked it down, reducing it to a heap of wet sand. I expected the children to burst into tears, devastated by what had happened to all their hard work.

But they surprised me. Instead, they ran up the shore away from the water, laughing and holding hands, and sat down to build another castle. I realized that they had taught me an important lesson.

All the things in our lives, all the complicated structures we spent so much time and energy creating, are built on sand. Only our relationships to other people endure.

Sooner or later, the wave will come along and knock down what we have worked so hard to build up. When that happens, only the person who has somebody's hand to hold will be able to laugh

Good Morning !

As I was doing my search for something nice to share with you all , two things really stood out in the articles I read.

1. We really need other people

2. We need to be able laugh together

Sometimes we get caught up in wondering what others think about us and trying to put on a good front, that we forget to be ourselves.

A true friend does just that. They let us be ourselves. They like us for what we are , not what they would like us to be.

I guess you could say the same for those in our families. We may not always like what they do, but we love who they are.

They may not like everything I do or say, but I know that they are there for me whenever I need them, their love never stops, just changes direction now and then.

The important things in life are the people in it, the relationships we have. It’s nice to have a home and all the things in it, but if there is no one to share it with, it’s not very valuable at all.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Do not desire to be other than you are, but desire to be very well what your are.

St. Francis de Sales

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE  to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

graphics by:  www.untilthengraphics.com

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to start my day.  It's so true.  At the end of it all, the only thing we can take with us is the LOVE we have.  Happy Saturday!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I love the story of the children holding hands and moving on ,what a lesson learned ,it would have been so easy to scream and yell and give up lol ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

great entry and yes we dont always like family but we love them. I get so mad at my aunts but I still respect them nad just yesterday gave the one a walmart bag full of tomatoes !!!!!! becuase she has none and loves ot can and make tomatoe preserves. I fiugre I cant win her over if Im hateful. Only by nice guestures can I win her over. Even if I dont like whta she does to my granny all the time. she is on a failing heart transplant and takes lots of meds so she may have lots of issues going on that I DO NOT deal with daily. I TRY I say TRY to keep taht in mind.

Anonymous said...

I loved your entry today and it is so true.  You have to love people for who they are expecially your family.  Becuase I'll tell you and you know, if you don't have family what do you have.  My grandkids love to build in the sand and could do it for hours, if weather permitted.  Have a fun weekeend.  Thanks for the comment.  Joni

Anonymous said...

Have you ever heard the saying, 'If you don't have your daily stroke your backbone shrivals'.  We all need one another, to be touched and loved and affirmed to live.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

So true, Pam! I`m so grateful for my family and friends. Life`s treasures!  :)
Have a great Saturday...

Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio/

Anonymous said...

So true...thanks for sharing...many hugs and love,
Joyce