Friday, January 25, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 1, PAGE 25

Father and His Sons

A father had a family of sons who were perpetually quarreling among themselves. When he failed to heal their disputes by his exhortations, he determined to give them a practical illustration of the evils of disunion; and for this purpose he one day told them to bring him a bundle of sticks.

When they had done so, he placed the faggot into the hands of each of them in succession, and ordered them to break it in pieces. They tried with all their strength, and were not able to do it.

He next opened the faggot, took the sticks separately, one by one, and again put them into his sons' hands, upon which they broke them easily. He then addressed them in these words:

"My sons, if you are of one mind, and unite to assist each other, you will be as this faggot, uninjured by all the attempts of your enemies; but if you are divided among yourselves, you will be broken as easily as these sticks

Aesop

Aesop's Fables or Aesopica refers to a collection of fables credited to Aesop (620–560 BC), a slave and story-teller who lived in Ancient Greece. Aesop's Fables have become a blanket term for collections of brief fables, usually involving personified animals

GOOD MORNING !

I thoughly enjoyed reading the fables of Aesop and I’ve put just a couple of them here for you today. They are very wise stories meant to teach a lesson. If we are wise we will learn a little from those willing to teach us.

Somewhere along the line, I developed a great love of history, historic sayings and what some call ‘old wives’ tales’. It probably stemmed from all the sayings I grew up with. My maternal grandmother had one for everything. What wasn’t in the Bible, was from the lips of the wise women in her past.

She always amazed me and to this day I’m in awe of her. For every saying there is a message . People often passed these words on down many generations . Fables were the same and while the words are so full of truth, they were easily listened to by many because they were in the form of a story.

What sometimes seems like a child’s fairy tale, actually has lots of lessons for us all to learn.

The full moon of the past several days was only visable one day this week on my way to work and it was beautiful.  I always think of my children and their children when I see it.  No matter how far apart we are, we can all see that same old moon...

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

A Boy was stung by a Nettle. He ran home and told his Mother, saying, "Although it hurts me very much, I only touched it gently."

"That was just why it stung you," said his Mother. "The next time you touch a Nettle, grasp it boldly, and it will be soft as silk to your hand, and not in the least hurt you."

Whatever you do, do with all your might.

Aesop

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart.

MA

 

 

graphics by:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeeeeeeeeh I am actually online and all seems to be fine today.I too have lots of sayings and quotes embedded in my mind from past generations.I use them plenty each day.One I have reflected on this week is :-"Pacience is a virtue and the Lord said use it".I have certainly had that one embedded in my mind LOL!! I do hope you have a lovely day, with a few smiles along the way and a little sunshine to warm your heart,mine has been warmed today  being able to get into your journal and read your lovely words once more.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

great moral  to the story..I like the man in the moon graphic.

Anonymous said...

I love fables and short stories. I hope you have a great day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I saw the full moon a couple of mornings.  It was beautiful.  

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I can see the moon through my patio door or bedroom window....
Have a great weekend!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Do you remember that song ? I see the moon ... I used to love the Aesops fables at school ..love Jan xx