Friday, January 11, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 1, PAGE 11

WHEN I AM AN OLD WOMAN ...

I SHALL WEAR PURPLE

With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick the flowers in other people's gardens

And learn to spit

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Taken from the book When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple

Good Morning !

I read recently that the color for this year is purple. Wow ! I love that color and it is DD’s favorite too.

The poem above suits me to a T. I’m getting to be that old lady for sure. This year I’m going to wear more purple and get a RED hat too !

I found this article on MOOD DRESSING that had a little more insight to the color purple

Wearing Purple - Unique and Special Wearing purple shows others that you want to be noticed Purple is seldom worn as a neutral color. Purple is the wrong color choice to make if you are wanting to blend in among others as you go about your business. The color purple, especially shades of violet, will definitely make a statement. Wearing purple shows others that you want to be noticed. If it is your desire to feel special and unique then purple is the right color choice. If you would like to send a message out into the world that you're one of a kind and that you could care less about conformity, then wear purple.

That should be each and everyone of us. We all are unique and special for sure.

Then of course there is the Red Hat Society whom I salute, but am not a member. Here’s what they have to say

The Red Hat Society began as a result of a few women deciding to greet middle age with verve, humor and elan. We believe silliness is the comedy relief of life, and since we are all in it together, we might as well join red-gloved hands and go for the gusto together. Underneath the frivolity, we share a bond of affection, forged by common life experiences and a genuine enthusiasm for wherever life takes us next."

Well I’ll be taking a tip or two from the poem, the article, and the Red Hat’s . As I add some purple to my life this year, I’ll be sure to take pictures to share…this should be fun !

It doesn’t take getting older to be special, each of us is unique in our own special way. We don’t need to belong to Red Hat’s to go for the gusto.

Relax and enjoy your life ! CELEBRATE TODAY!

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY

No one lives long enough to learn everything they need to learn starting from scratch. To be successful, we absolutely, positively have to find people who have already paid the price to learn the things that we need to learn to achieve our goals.--

Brian Tracy

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

 

MA

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have a Red Hat Society in our little town.  They're are constantly on the go.  I read about their outings in our little paper.  I loved the thought for today.  There's so much we could learn from older people, if only we would take the time to do so.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm changing my attitude too.  Gone are the games of "fine living".  Coming are the days of "fun living".  It matters not if nobody understands.  Bring on the purple and the red hats.

Anonymous said...

I'll make one in here.I love the colour Purple and if you remember I did a Rhyme about the Red Hat Society in my journal not long ago.I love hats so yes I think much can be learned from this and much can be learned from SENIOR CITIZENS too I call us LOL!! Not old age pensioners.

May your days consist of purple and red hats from the start
With a few smiles and lots of sunshine to warm your heart .

Wonderful posting I realy enjoyed it.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

You know I'll be wearing purple, lol... Actually everything I wore yesterday was purple.... oh my pjs right now are purple and my slippers....
Happy Friday!!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

My Mom was in the Red Hat Society a few years ago but her group disbanded. Have a great Friday.
Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

Cute! lol Funny that I really like the color purple but don't wear it that much? Hmmm very interesting about purple. :-) Blessings to you too. Janie

Anonymous said...

Think I will join you in all those groups lol ,Have a good day ..love Jan xx