Thursday, September 6, 2007

CHAPTER 9, PAGE 6

Sharpening My Axe

Harvey MacKay

Two lumberjacks were in a tree-cutting contest. Both were strong and determined, hoping to win the prize. But one was hardworking and ambitious, chopping down every tree in his path at the fastest pace possible, while the other appeared to be a little more laid back, methodically felling trees and pacing himself.

The go-getter worked all day, skipping his lunch break, expecting that his superior effort would be rewarded. His opponent, however, took an hour-long lunch; then resumed his steady pace. In the end, the eager beaver was dismayed to lose to his "lazier" competition.

Thinking he deserved to win after his hard work, he finally approached his opponent and said, "I just don’t understand. I worked longer and harder than you, and went hungry to get ahead. You took a break, and yet you still won. It just doesn’t seem fair. Where did I go wrong?"

The winner responded, "While I was taking my lunch break, I was sharpening my axe."

  GOOD MORNING!

Thankful Thursday is here once more.

I’m so very thank ful today that I’m waking up once more with my good cup of coffe and AOL is working so I can do my journal entry today

I’m thankful for the continued good health of my family and myself

I’m ever thankful for my job and the ability to do it

I’m thankful for all of you that help make my day much brighter.

  THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Tell Them Why

Bits & Pieces, May `84

When you ask people to do something, be sure to also tell them why. Its well worth the time and effect. Its very easy for a busy person to fall into the habit of simply telling people to do things without further explanation. It seems like the quickest and easiest way to get things done. But it’s rarely the best way.

When you ask someone to do something, take time to explain why. Its an excellent habit with a lot of good side effects.

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart .

MA

 

graphics by:  www.untilthengraphics.com

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that lumber jack story

Anonymous said...

I like the lumber Jack story too ,abit like the snail and the tortoise ,good advice to explain why you would like them to do some thing ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Love the lumberjack story.  How very true it is that it's well worth explaining to someone why you want something done.  Growing up, my Dad's favorite thing to say in response to my "why" or "why not" was always "because I said so."  Well, that stopped working when I got older.  I stopped listening!  All I ever wanted was to understand and a simple explanation would have sufficed.  Oh, well!  Have a wonderful day!  Linda  

Anonymous said...

I think I have driven down this road before. lol Beautiful fall colors.. it will soon be here. Cute story!! lol Good advice. Have a wonderful day with smiles and sunshine. God Bless, Janie

Anonymous said...

What a great entry! I hope you enjoy your day.
Hugs.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Loved the lumberjack story.  The thing about telling people why when you ask them to do something, is something we had drilled into us as store managers.  It just makes good sense, if you stop and think about it.  have a good day, Joni