Saturday, September 29, 2007

CHAPTER 9, PAGE 29

Maturing

There is an old story about a mother who walks in on her six-year-old son and finds him sobbing.

"What's the matter?" she asks.

"I've just figured out how to tie my shoes."

"Well, honey, that's wonderful."

Being a wise mother, she recognizes his victory

in the Eriksonian struggle of autonomy versus doubt:

"You're growing up, but why are you crying?"

"Because," he says, "now I'll have to do it

every day for the rest of my life."

GOOD MORNING !

Just because I didn’t know what Erikson had written about I did a little search on http://en.wikipedia.org

Erik Erikson believed that every human being goes through a certain amount of stages to reach their full development. According to his theory, there are 8 stages, that a human being goes through from birth to death.

According to Erikson, the environment in which a child lived was crucial to providing growth, adjustment, a source of self awareness and identity.

The Erikson life-stage virtues, in the order of the stages in which they may be acquired, are:

hope- Basic Trust vs. Mistrust

will- Autonomy vs. Shame and Doubt

purpose- Initiative vs. Guilt

competence- Industry vs. Inferiority

fidelity- Identity vs. Role Confusion

love (in intimate relationships, work and family)- Intimacy vs. Isolation

caring- Generativity vs. Stagnation

wisdom- Integrity vs. Despair

So there we have it – a little education for you all this morning . Well I do know what that little boy was feeling as he cried. I could cry too about all the things that I’ve learned and have to do everyday the rest of my life.

But, thankfully there are many more things that I’ve learned that are causes for rejoicing and not crying. Things I do everyday of my life that I’m so glad I learned and that I love to do every day.

If we dwell on the problems we face, the problems will only grow and grow out of proportion. On the other hand if we can find the blessings of each day and dwell on them, our joy will outshine any darkness that may come our way.

I’m off to the birthday party and won’t be home til tomorrow sometime, so my morning entry will be a little later in the day—just in case you wonder what happened to me.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Plenty of people miss their share of happiness.

Not because they never found it,

but because they didn't stop to enjoy it.

William Feather

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

graphics by: www.untilthengraphics.com

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sahring that bit of info

Anonymous said...

A very interesting post this morningI found.Yes I go along with all you have said too.I hope you have a wonderful time at the party You so desrve this break and a little company.Have a wonderful week/end.I will keep my eye out for your posting as my alerts are still not fully functional for some reason.I am trying to work out why now!! I hope you get lots of smiles and the weather is kind to you too.Take Care God Bless

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this info...and how true it is...
Hope you had fun at the birthday ....hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

We had to learn about Erikson's life stages theory in nursing school. It supposedly gave us an idea of what a person is dealing with as we care for them. Gives us insight to how they are thinking.
I hope you have a great day and have lots of pictures to share.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Thank You, as usual.  My not so awake brain just can't absorbe just now.....I'm going to read this a little later when I'm fully awake......might take all day....It's one of those days when "alert" is not in my dictionary.

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the party, can't wait to see the pictures.  Joni

Anonymous said...

enjoy your weekend and relax a little. Loved the story above. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Hope the party was fun!
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that info ,interesting ,have fun at the party ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

So cute about the little boy and his shoes. I would say he was pretty mature for his age. lol Have a great with with :-) 's Janie