Saturday, October 22, 2005

SUPER SATURDAY

TODAY’S JOY

Was Born Of Yesterday's Sorrow

Who said the "darkness of the night

 Would never turn to day ...

Who said the "winter's bleakness

Would never pass away ...

Who said the fog would never lift

And let the sunshine through ...

Who said the skies now overcast

Would nevermore be blue ...

Why should we ever entertain

These thoughts so dark and grim

And let the brightness of our mind

Grow cynical and dim ...

When we know beyond all questioning

 That winter turns to spring ...

And on the notes of sorrow

New songs are made to sing ...

For no one sheds a teardrop

Or suffers loss in vain,

For God is always there to turn

Our losses into gain.

 And every burden born TODAY

 And every present sorrow

Are but God's happy harbingers

Of a joyous, bright TOMORROW!

 Helen Steiner Rice

 

 

GOOD MORNING !

This weekend I’ve got no special plans, just getting things around home done. The weather is chilly and wet and it might be a good day to turn the oven on. I found a recipe for Pumpkin Scones that sounds very good – so I think I’ll try it out if I have all the ingredients.

Spicy Pumpkin Scones

 Ingredients:

1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided

1 large egg 1/2 cup pumpkin, cooked and mashed

1/4 cup sour cream, light or regular

1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated

 Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Combine the remaining sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in 4 tablespoons butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat the egg in a bowl. Add the pumpkin, sour cream and ginger; beat until well blended. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface; knead gently 10 times. Roll or gently pat out the dough into a 9 x 6-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 6 squares with a very sharp, serrated knife Cut each square diagonally in half, making 12 triangles. Place the triangles 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Melt the remaining tablespoon butter. Brush the dough with butter and sprinkle with the reserved sugar. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Test with a toothpick to make sure they are done. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cool completely.

 

I usually don’t cook for myself, but I’ll be going over to visit my folks, so I’ll take some to them.

 

  The fuchia plant that was a gift for Mothers Day this year is still out on my porch, but today I'm going to cut it back and bring it into the house for the winter.  I've never done this before, so I'm hoping it will survive.       The wreath of fall leaves and flowers circles my 2 BLUE STARS.  They are for my SON#2 and his wife that are both in the military. This banner stays up all the time, but I change the wreath with the seasons.    

I hope you have a Super Saturday !

***BIG SMILE***

MA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the recipie and the pics Hey I noticed alittle color in the leaves since it rained yesterday adn got cool. YIPPEEEEEeee

Anonymous said...

Hi there!!!  I'm rewarding myself with computer time b/w each room that I clean today.  Love the flowers scenes that you are putting in your journal.  Have fun cooking and visiting with your folks.
Sonya