Wednesday, October 12, 2005

OVER THE HUMP DAY !

Why am I cast down

And despondently sad

When I long to be happy

And joyous and glad?

Why is my heart heavy

With unfathomable weight

As I try to escape

This soul-saddened state

I ask myself often ...

"What makes life this way,

Why is the song silenced

In the heart that was gay?"

And then, with God's help

It all becomes clear,

The "Soul" has its "Seasons"

Just the same as the year

I, too, must pass through

Life's autumn of dying,

A desolate period

Of heart-hurt and crying.

Followed by winter

In whose frostbitten hand

My heart is as frozen

As the snow-covered land

Yes, man too must pass

Through the seasons God sends,

Content in the knowledge

That everything ends.

And, Oh! What a blessing

To know there are reasons

And to find that our soul

Must, too, have it's seasons.

Bounteous Seasons"

And "Barren Ones," too.

Times for rejoicing

And times to be blue.

But meeting these seasons

Of dark desolation

With strength that is born

Of anticipation

That comes from knowing

That "autumn-time sadness"

Will surely be followed by a

Springtime of Gladness

Seasons of the Soul by Helen Steiner Rice

Good Morning !

I love Helen Steiner Rice’s poems.

I should try and see if there is a book somewhere with them in . I keep finding one here and there, so there is apparently a lot of them. From what I’ve read she wrote the greetings for a Greeting Card Company. I suppose that somewhere , someonehad a card with this verse inside.

We’re halfway though the week already and that’s just fine with me. Evenings this week have been quiet ones and the critters and I have been keeping in and trying to stay warm. The chilly days of fall are here.

***BIG SMILE***

 

Take good care all !

MA

 

The cute tags by:

www.graphicgarden.com

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try typing Helen Steiner Rice into your search bar, surprising what you can find out there. If you are lucky and come across some more poems, just print them off. Saves the cost of a book. Take care.
Sylvia x
http://journals.co.uk/sylviam4000/JottingsfromtheSticks/

Anonymous said...

You can find many of her books at half.com for as little as 75 cents, plus shipping.  That's where I get all my books.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you need t tell your kids you want those books for christmas. :>}

Anonymous said...

The book I have is called "The Poems and Prayers of Helen Steiner Rice".
Linda :)