Wednesday, August 1, 2007

CHAPTER 8, PAGE 1

The Angel of August is the angel of perseverance.

The new directions we began in the spring may have become difficult to sustain. Like a garden that needs constant watering and weeding in the scorching August sun, our projects and dreams require stamina and determination to bring them to fruition.

The angel of August helps us with unflagging energy to tend the garden we have planted. When the hot summer sun and the work of our lives demand too much of us, the August angel brings us the fortitude to cleave to our tasks through completion.

Keep steady my steps according to thy promise.

Psalm 119:133

  A little story….

On my morning walks I pass a roadside restaurant in a spectacular garden setting. For years, I've stopped to gaze at it - more than an acre of color changing with the seasons. Who couldn't have a beautiful garden, I‘ve thought, with the gardening staff they must have! But I'd always gone by too early to see any of them at work.

One day, I didn't get out for my walk until the afternoon. As I passed, I saw a man come from the basement carrying a tray of begonias. Seeing me stopped, he invited me in. I asked him if he was the head gardener. "Just the assistant," he replied.

He explained that he'd come from Hungary 27 years ago and went to work at the restaurant as a cleaning man. In his free time, he tended the potted geraniums - at that time the only flowers in the garden. Seeing the geraniums thrive, the owner had let him plant some rosebushes out back.

My puzzlement grew as he told me how year after year he'd planted a lilac here, a marigold border there, until the garden became the showplace it is today. If he'd done all this, . . . "Then what does the head gardener do."

He pointed a finger skyward. "He makes the flowers grow."

Author unknown to me, but very appreciated.

  GOOD MORNING !

A new month is here and with that comes a new chapter in my book. The book of my life and all its ups and downs and turn arounds. This is the month that a lot of people take vacation. It’s a month for family reunions and picnics. It is the last fling of the summer for quite a few..

Each year I enjoy summer more and dread the dark dreary days of winter more too. I really should be thankful for all the seasons as they each have their unique delights, but winter with its cold and snow and long nights just makes me want to hibernate and sleep til it’s over.

Thankfully, that is 4 months off yet and today is still summer !

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Be glad that you've walked

With courage each day,

Be glad you've had strength

For each step of the way.

Helen Steiner Rice

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

graphics by:  www.untilthengraphics.com

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah this last winter held on so long and was so bad. the lady at the garden shop told me yesterday they are haivng problems iwth all kinds of things and the trees they are watching due to the very alte frosts

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!  I had just finished reading about new beginnings at the journal http://journals.aol.com/rbrimm/ChosenWords.  This gentleman suffers from cancer but courageously continues to post his poems and commentarys for his readers.  I thought it interesting that you too concentrated on the "freshness" of August.  

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'm a very good assistant, but I give it my best.  I love August!  Joni

Anonymous said...

'He makes the flowers grow '..marvelous ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I really love that story!  I just cannot believe that it is August.  In my mind, I do miss the seasons.  But, in reality, I don't think I could ever live in a cold climate again.  Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm  not looking forward to January, they are going to dig our road up and put in a new mains sewer for 5 months.  Then when they are finished the gas people are going to dig it up again and lay gas pipes.  Mud, noise etc.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to fall and don't mind winter, but then I'm in the south.  I think in the winter time, my schedule is not as bad.  This summer has worn me out.  We've had something every Saturday for weeks.  When fall and winter get here - and even spring - we'll be doing our own things for a while.  And hibernation with my house, books, and computer - sounds good to me.  he he he.
I'm sure if I lived up there - I would dread winter.  You have a lot more snow which is nice the first one or two - but I guess it gets old after a while.  
Sonya