Wednesday, August 8, 2007

CHAPTER 8, PAGE 8

A little trivia for you today…

What do we mean when we talk about "a wing and a prayer?"

If you've ever done something that you were hopeful would succeed (although unlikely), you may have said that you were doing it on a "wing and a prayer."

Saying this, you're harkening back to a tradition dating to World War I and the very infancy of aviation. It was a time when airplanes were still a novelty and certainly untested in wartime.

"A wing and a prayer" was first uttered when an American flyer came in with his aircraft so badly damaged that nobody could believe he'd actually made it back in said aircraft with so much damage - his fellow pilots and mechanics were amazed he didn't crash.

Reportedly, the fellow replied he was praying all the way in. Another pilot chimed in that "a wing and a prayer brought you back."

The phrase stuck and eventually made it into common usage referring to any sort of longshot dream.

  GOOD MORNING !

Every day when I go out the door I feel like I’m on a wing and a prayer. In fact I do start my prayers as I’m backing out of the driveway.

Is it just me or are there more and more crazy drivers on the road? My guardian angel has been on duty as I’ve not had a fender bender yet. But I’ve been ever so close so many times.

So today, with a wing and a prayer I'll be off to work once more...

I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!

 

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Let your hopes, not your hurts, shape your future.

Robert H. Schuller

  May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart

MA

 

 

Graphics by:  www.untilthengraphics.com

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have more than my share of close calls myself.  You hang in there and be careful backing out of that driveway, your angels are probably busy watching you anyway.  Good to be back reading your thoughts for the day. Joni

Anonymous said...

I've had some near misses myself! Many over the years. I think my angels must be so tired by now!
I always say a little prayer of thanks after pulling back into my garage, too. Hope you have a good day. I owe, too...so it's off to work with me also!
Pam

Anonymous said...

I do not drive,but have had many times I have been on a  wing and a prayer as a passenger from some crazy drivers on todays road.I hope you have a lovely Wednesday,half way there now through the week.I am sorry you have to I owe I owe.Stay Safe.I hope you get a few smiles on the way and some weather which suits you too.It is so hot here over the pond today and getting hotter each day PHEW.I have had to come home from the beach........Far too hot for me out there.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

thats what I tell the girls ............ I say you do not know......... what the day brings. I said you can be cuastious but you can still drive fine and someone else can come out of no where and you cant do a thing about it