Wednesday, August 15, 2007

CHAPTER 8, PAGE 15

If you would like to spoil the day for a grouch, give him a smile

Author Unknown

The more you give,

The more you get—

The more you laugh,

The less you fret!

Helen Steiner Rice

Today laugh at your mistakes.

When we laugh, natural killer cells which destroy tumours and viruses increase, along with Gamma-interferon (a disease-fighting protein), T-cells (important for our immune system) and B-cells (which make disease-fighting antibodies). As well as lowering blood pressure, laughter increases oxygen in the blood, which also encourages healing.

GOOD MORNING!

I did an online search of the benefits of laughter and I thought you all might profit from knowing these facts too:

The sound of roaring laughter is far more contagious than any cough, sniffle, or sneeze. Humor and laughter can cause a domino effect of joy and amusement, as well as set off a number of positive physical effects.

A good hearty laugh can help: Historically, research has shown that distressing emotions (depression, anger, anxiety, and stress) are all related to heart disease. A study done at the University of Maryland Medical Center suggests that a good sense of humor and the ability to laugh at stressful situations helps mitigate the damaging physical effects of distressing emotions

Not only does laughter give your midsection a workout, it can benefit digestion and absorption functioning as well. It is estimated that hearty laughter can burn calories equivalent to several minutes on the rowing machine or the exercise bike.

Laughter stimulates both sides of the brain to enhance learning. It eases muscle tension and psychological stress, which keeps the brain alert and allows people to retain more information.

Our work, marriage and family all need humor, celebrations, play and ritual as much as record-keeping and problem-solving. We should ask the questions "Do we laugh together?" as well as "Can we get through this hardship together?"

Humor binds us together, lightens our burdens and helps us keep things in perspective. One of the things that saps our energy is the time, focus and effort we put into coping with life's problems including each other's limitations.

Our families, our friends and our neighbors are not perfect and neither are our marriages, our kids or our in-laws. When we laugh together, it can bind us closer together instead of pulling us apart.

Laughter is very powerful medicine. It can lower stress, dissolve anger and unite families in their resolve to overcome troubled times.

Smile - sunshine is good for your teeth.

Author Unknown

  THOUGHT FOR TODAY

It takes a lot of work from the face to let out a smile, but just think what good smiling can bring to the most important muscle of the body... the heart.

Author Unknown

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

graphics by:  www.graphicgarden.com

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

they have proven that cancer patients who watch comedies do much better also

Anonymous said...

I read once that children laugh on average about 400 times a day and adults average about 4 good laughs a day.  That's a sad commentary.  No wonder the Lord wants us to become as little children!!  I know I much prefer laughter to tears!  :)  Linda

Anonymous said...

I always said that my best friend Joey's sense of humor has kept him alive throughout his Cancer.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Iam trying to laugh !,love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I am laughing my lid off here and will be now for the rest of the day.Though I think you know I usually am laughing.Someone asked me in a comment the other day how me and ms sisters keep so young looking.I wonder if it's because we laugh plenty,well more than plenty i can assure you.LOL!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.I have no idea otherwise.But I do try to laugh often and even when I am low I look for somewhere to go that will give me a laugh,if it's only a joke on the internet Haaaa.Yes I think laughter is the best medicine of all.I hope you get a few smiles today and some sunshine to warm your heart too.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Laughter is the best medicine.  Thanks for the reminder.  :)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/      Tracy

Anonymous said...

Very good read. All of it sounds true. I love to laugh and don't like to be around someone who is depressed all the time? Am I the only one that feels that way? Praying you have a wonderful week, Janie

Anonymous said...

I decided to check Good Morning Sunshine out and I really like it a lot. I love all the positive entries so I put it on my alerts.
Love,
Kat