Friday, June 22, 2007

CHAPTER 6, PAGE 22

TRAINS DON'T WANDER

ALL OVER THE MAP

'CAUSE NOBODY

SITS IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP

Burma Shave

SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH

BY MISTAKE SHE THOUGHT

IT WAS HER HUSBAND JAKE

 Burma Shave

DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD

TO GAIN A MINUTE

 YOU NEED YOUR HEAD

YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT

Burma Shave

DROVE TOO LONG

DRIVER SNOOZING

WHAT HAPPENED NEXT

 IS NOT AMUSING

Burma Shave

BROTHER SPEEDER

LET'S REHEARSE

 ALL TOGETHER

GOOD MORNING, NURSE

Burma Shave

CAUTIOUS RIDER

TO HER RECKLESS DEAR

LET'S HAVE LESS BULL

AND MORE STEER

Burma Shave

SPEED WAS HIGH

WEATHER WAS NOT

TIRES WERE THIN

X MARKS THE SPOT

Burma Shave

THE MIDNIGHT RIDE

OF PAUL FOR BEER

LED TO A WARMER

HEMISPHERE

Burma Shave

AROUND THE CURVE

LICKETY-SPLIT

BEAUTIFUL CAR

WASN'T IT?

Burma Shave

NO MATTER THE PRICE

NO MATTER HOW

NEW THE BEST

SAFETY DEVICE

IN THE CAR

IS YOU

Burma Shave

A GUY WHO DRIVES

A CAR WIDE OPEN

IS NOT THINKIN'

HE'S JUST HOPIN'

Burma Shave

AT INTERSECTIONS

 LOOK EACH WAY

A HARP SOUNDS NICE

BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY

 Burma Shave

BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL

EYES ON THE ROAD

THAT'S THE SKILLFUL

DRIVER'S CODE

Burma Shave

THE ONE WHO DRIVES

WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING

DEPENDS ON YOU

TO DO HIS THINKING

Burma Shave

CAR IN DITCH

DRIVER IN TREE

THE MOON WAS FULL

AND SO WAS HE.

Burma Shave

And my all time favorite:

PASSING SCHOOL ZONE

TAKE IT SLOW

LET OUR LITTLE SHAVERS

GROW

Burma Shave

Do these bring back any old memories? If not, you're merely a child. If they do - then you're old as dirt... LIKE ME! and I remember:

The rhythm of life is intricate but orderly, tenacious but fragile.

Shirley Hufstedler

GOOD MORNING!

I do hope those BURMA SHAVE sayings brought a smile to your face this morning. One of my fondest memories were the trips we made from Northern Ohio down to West Virginia to visit my maternal grandparents. We’d see these signs all along the road.

That was in the days before there were any interstate highways and it took us a lot longer to get there than it does now. There were lots of little towns to go through and also lots of that fresh country air ! I think it’s called the scent of cow manure.

Of course there was no air conditioning in the cars then either and we all were quite wind blown by the time we got there. I was always in the back seat of the car, in the middle, with each of my sisters on either side of me.

My sisters have always been so very special to me and to this day they still are.

Memories , especially good ones are the things I draw on for strength when times get troubled. In the days ahead I imagine there will be lots of stories told as family and friends are beginning to come now to see my Dad. They know the end is close and want to say their good byes while he is still with us.

Time is getting very short for him they say. I do have to work today, but then I’ll have the weekend.

Soon , very soon , I’m going to start a new journal – it will be called THE NEXT 20 YEARS. It will be about what I do and am faced with as I become the OLDER generation.

I’ll be the oldest in my immediate family. Is that bad? Or good? I guess I’ll be finding out. I’ll let you all know when I begin it, I won’t be giving up this one, just adding another.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

It is perhaps frightening for us to think that we have chosen to live our life exactly as it is today

Matthew Kelly The Rhythm of Life

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart.

MA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved the quotes Yes I had a good laugh over them.They did bring a smile to my face.Thankyou very much this rainy morning again.It was beautiful earlier and now it has changed once more.On a sadder note,I am so sorry to read the update on your Dear Father.I don't know if being the older sister is good or not.I am the youngest of four sisters,but I do worry at times if we depart this world by our age when our time comes, I will be the last one left.The good old days are always lovely to look back on.I shall look forward to your NEW journal with much interest.I hope you do not make it a private one.If so please consider me for a reader thankyou.I hope work goes well today and you can manage a few smiles under the circumstances of what surrounds you just now.You will be in my prayers and all your family too.I hope you also get a little sunshine .Take Care God Bless Kath
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Yes the Burma Shave looks very familar.  We used to drive to Montana every
summer and saw lots of them.  I still love road trips to this day.  Love and Prayers to you and your Dad, I know it will be a sad time for you, this is a passage we all have to go through and it is never easy.  Joni

Anonymous said...

ah let me tell you............. I was an only child our long hot trips were just that and listening to my parents argue

Anonymous said...

Iam sorry to hear your Dad is becoming more frail,I AM the eldest in my family lol ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Yes i am the oldest and i had to wait 13 years for a sister.  I have never heard of Burma Shave but i enjoyed them.  Sorry to hear about your Dad.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

continue to hold you in my thoughts and prayers.  I will look forward to reading the next 20 years when you start it.  Phyllis

Anonymous said...

It was me and my brother in the back seat, and no seatbelts, we could lay out on the seat or on the floor, crazy... I was always reading and dad always pointing out the sights to get me to look out the window instead of reading, lol....
Looking forward to your new journal...
Special thoughts for Dad...
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

What cute sayings!
Since you`re the oldest in your immediate family, it goes without saying that you`re also the wisest.   :)
Hugs
Penny