Monday, June 11, 2007

CHAPTER 6, PAGE 11

Dear Lord,

I NEED HELP.

Help me to be a good secretary, and help me to have the memory of an elephant, or one at least three years long. Help me by some miracle to be able to do six things at once, answer four telephones at the same time while typing a letter that must go out today. And, when that letter doesn't get signed until tomorrow, give me the strength to keep from going over the brink of hysteria. Never let me lose patience, even when the boss has me searching the files for hours for data that is later discovered in his desk.

HELP ME to have the intelligence of a college professor; help me to understand and carry out all instructions without being given clear explanations. Let me know always just where the boss is, even though he left without telling me where he was going. And when the year ends, please let me have the foresight not to destroy records that will be asked for in a few weeks, even though I was told to destroy them all.

 HELP ME to keep a level head and my feet on the ground, so that my secretarial performance will be a proper reflection of the pioneer women who made a place for me in the business world, and those who established me in a profession.

AUTHOR UNKNOWN

GOOD MORNING

BACK TO WORK !

My job title is supposed to be that of an office manager. Years ago, I would have been called a secretary. My boss still says I’m his secretary. I really don’t know if it even makes a difference.

When I first started working, computers were almost unheard of. IBM was probably the leading name at the time. We had very few electric typewriters back then. Don’t laugh too hard…but it’s true. Then came word processors. That was a major leap at the time. Now I don’t know how I’d do without a computer.

I know I can do much more and more efficiently too. How things have changed. I’m going to be experiencing another change today as I have a new computer in the office. A new Dell with Vista. I don’t know how much of a change yet, but we’ll hope all the data in my old one transferred over ok and I have no problems, we’ll see…

Only a few more days til summer is officially here. The weather promises to be absolutely wonderful the new few days. Of course for the most part I’ll be inside looking out.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.

Mohandas K. Gandhi

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

graphics by:  www.amretasgraphics.com

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I can see thihngs sure have changed. computers can be a greta help. at times other times no so much as tey can cause alot of problems trying to fix. I m not fond of vista. todd has it on his computer there are some nice things about it as far as recieving signals but the other stuff well Im not use to where to find it.

Anonymous said...

I grew up with manual typewriters.  So when I bought an electric typewriter, my mom challenged me. She insisted she could still type faster on her little old manual than I could on my electric. We raced...and by goodness she DID type faster on this little portable manual!!  LOL! Those seem so primitive now.
Have a good day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

This sounds very familiar to me .When I worked in the office many years ago.The more I did the more they gave me to do.Yes computers sure are helpful but a nightmare when things go wrong with them.I hope you are appreciated in your work, as I know you work sooooo hard.I love the little garden graphics they are so cute and the thought for today.Lets hope the lovely weather continues .I hope you get a few smiles along the way today and the sun shines on you whilst outdoors..Take Care God Bless.Kath
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

I love your entry for today. I do a job that is much the same and it dertainly is some of everything and usually all at once. Thank God we are no longer using manual typewriters and carbon paper. Computers make our job so much easier. Good luck with your new compuer and Vista. I am sure it will bring some new challenges for you, but you will get through them cause you are an "old pro".

Anonymous said...

Icouldnt type till Iwent on line two years ago lol so to partcipate I had to learn  ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I don't know what we would do without computers either. I remember learning how to type on the electric typewriter and as my jobs as secretary's that what we had. I hope you had a great weekend and have a great week.