Thursday, January 25, 2007

CHAPTER 1, PAGE 25

Twas the month after Christmas, and all through the house

Nothing would fit me, not even a blouse.

The cookies I'd nibbled, the eggnog I'd taste

At the holiday parties had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales there arose such a number!

When I walked to the store (less a walk than a lumber).

 I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;

The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,

The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese

And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt

And prepared once again to do battle with dirt---

I said to myself, as I only can

"You can't spend a winter disguised as a man!"

So--away with the last of the sour cream dip,

Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip

Every last bit of food that I like must be banished

"Till all the additional ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie--not even a lick.

I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.

I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie,

I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry. I'm hungry,

I'm lonesome, and life is a bore---

But isn't that what January is for?

 Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.

Happy New Year to all and to all a good diet!

GOOD MORNING !

I don’t know about a diet, but I’m certainly putting on a few pounds this winter.

My Dad will be having a pace maker put in for his heart. Please keep him in your prayers. My next door sister and I went to see him yesterday after work.

We had a very nice doctor explain how common this is. Just as common as arthritis he says. Hearts get old and the plumbing and electricity need some repairs and the pacemaker does the trick.

He said it usually happens between 75-80 years old. Dad is 83. He was very fortunate he just happened to have had a routine check up yesterday and they discovered his problem. Not sure yet when this will happen but soon. Getting old isn’t much fun sometimes, but Dad says if this makes him feel better he’s going to have it done.

I’ll be going into work but am on call . If my sister that cares for Dad hears that surgery is scheduled, I have permission to leave work and go in for the surgery with her. I know my being there won’t make much difference, but I’ll feel better . We’ll just have to wait and see …

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

With proper diet, rest, and exercise a healthy body will last a lifetime.

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes my grandmother has had a pace maker for 12 years now if that is any concolatioin she is 87!!!!!! so I also hear its common and it was really simple. Im glad its nothing more major.

Anonymous said...

Iam praying for your Dad ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Hello There,
I have done the comment once and AOL cut me short Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
I have lots of relations that have had pacemakers fitted and they have never looked back.If it prolongs ones life well so be it.My son had an heart attack 3 yrs ago aged 36. not overweight or anything fit as a fiddle he was, but his heart had too much damage unfortunatly, so he was unable to have this procedure..He is now well on just meds, and back refereeing football as he has always been a fit lad.I hope father goes well and thousand fold prayers I am saying for you and yours.Loved the rhyme and do not worry too much it is a very common op nowadays.God Bless have a lovely day if possible.Hope you too get a smile and a little sunshine today.
Astorisand http://journals.aol.co.uk/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Hope your Dad recovers quick after his op.  Loved the poem it was oh so true.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

It's not a complicated procedure. I worked in a hospital for years and it does people a world of good who need it. I actually saw a 40 year-old woman get one in the ER that saved her life, so it's not only a matter of age. Stay strong.

Angela

Anonymous said...

Keeping your Dad, you and your family in my prayers.  Pace makers are a common thing now.  I have known people that have had this done and it really made a difference for them.  Keep the faith.  Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Tell Dad Hi and I'm thinking of you all......
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Catching up here.  I hope and pray everything goes well. Pacemakers are done all the time.  Pretty routine.  I'm sure he'll be ok.
Hugs to you,
Pam

Anonymous said...

It is quite expected that we attend the various surgeries of our parents.  So don't worry about what work thinks, if you are.  I know they always expect us to be there to do the workload, but surely they would understand attending the surgery of a parent.