Monday, December 17, 2007

CHAPTER 12, PAGE 17

 

Our Gifts to Our Children

author unknown

What do we give to our children?

First we give them the most precious of all gifts:

the principles of brotherly love and the love of God, as taught so many years ago by Christ, whose birth we celebrate.

We give them our attention, for one day it will be too late.

We give them a sense of value. A place for the individual in the scheme of things, with all that accrues to the individual: self-reliance, courage, conviction, self-respect, and the respect of others.

We give them a sense of humor because laughter leavens life. We give them the meaning of discipline. If we falter at discipline, life will do it for us.

We give them the will to work. Satisfying work is not the lasting joy, but knowing that a job is well done.

We give them the talent for sharing. That it's not so much that we give, as to what we share.

We give them the love of justice--the bulwark against violence and oppression, and the repository of human dignity.

We give them the passion for truth: founded on precept of example, truth is the beginning of every good thing; the power and the faith engendering mutual trust.

We give them the beacon of hope which lights all darkness. We give them the knowledge of being loved. Beyond the demand for reciprocity, praise or blame, for those loved are never lost.

What shall we give the children? The open sky, the brown earth, the leafy trees, the golden sand, the blue water, the stars in their courses, and the awareness of these:

birdsongs, butterflies, clouds and rainbows, sunlight, moonlight, firelight; a large hand reaching down for a small hand, impromptu praise, an unexpected kiss, a straight answer, the glisten of enthusiasm and the sense of wonder, long days to be merry in and nights without fear, and the memory of a good home.

These things we shall give the children.

GOOD MORNING !

Whether or not you have children of your own or are a grandparent like me…I think the little list above can apply to all of us. There is a lot we can give the children . They are the future generation that will in turn have to give those things to another generation to come.

Life is a circle and each of us has been touched in someway by our ancestors.

After I made my entry yesterday it got colder and the rain turned to snow and we got several more inches of blowing drifting snow on the ground.

I do hope the roads are clear this morning. When I went to bed last night it was only 28 degrees. The wind makes it seem colder yet.

This will be a long busy work week, but come Saturday, I’ll be off for 4 days. Maybe I’ve mentioned that before, but it is worth repeating.

Have a great Monday everyone!

 

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Children are gifts too - Handle them with care.

 

May the season's simple joys

Warm your heart...

Fill your home...

Last a lifetime

 

MA

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you have a safe trip to work. yes children are gift to us al

Anonymous said...

Children are the best gifts we could receive. There is nothing more priceless to me than my own son.
Have a safe trip to work and be careful in that weather.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say I really like your outfits you've chosen for the week. I especially like numbers 2 and 3! But, they are all beautiful!
Pam

Anonymous said...

You are very organized and very festive...
Lyn


Anonymous said...

Nice to read this, it never hurts to be reminded of what is really important -especially at this time of year!  Shopping and gifts can sometimes take over what the real meaning of the season is...Thanks and have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful week and then it will be Christmas!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Children are priceless nothing can compare.I wish Santa would bring along all my four, and my Grandchildren,wrapped up in a big box Christmas morning.Wouldn't that be just the best gift of all..I am sorry to read your weather is not very good.Brr it's very cold here too.  -2 tonight Brrrrrr.I am realy feeling it in my poor knees the old arthritis aches pretty bad.Your outfits once again cheered me they are all so beautiful.Love the snowman one.You Take Care travelling and I am so happy you will be having four days nice rest,come the week/end.You so deserve them.Prayers being said for the weather to warm up a little more for you,safe journeys.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Your thought for the day is perfect and I live by that each and every day.  No matter their ages, they are still my babies to take care of.  Precious!  :)
I love your choice of clothes.  So bright and Cheery!  :)
http://journals.aol.com/lattedah711/lattedah/    Tracy

Anonymous said...

Great list! Children are not owned... they are just on loan. lol I am sure that you are happy to have 4 days off. Have a blessed week. Janie