Friday, November 30, 2007

CHAPTER 11, PAGE 30

 

 

 

According to sources, the following letter was found

in the 'Letters To Santa' box at the Post Office

in Thompson Falls, Montana

 

Dear Santa:

What do I ask this year? I have perused each ad in my mailbox, pored over the colorful ads in the newspaper. So many lovely things, and yet I need nothing.

I realize this as I walk up the hill on my strong legs. I can hear the air fill my lungs. I feel the cold on my cheeks. I smell the smoke of the fire that warms my home. I see the snow-capped mountains and the slate gray river peppered with fat geese.

I need nothing: there are people who love me. There are people who forgive my sometimes wretched temper and who touch me with loving hands. There are neighbors who smile in the store. There are shopkeepers who are tolerant when I don’t have enough money. There are kind faces in public places.

There is a fat pregnant cat who sneaks into my garage. Dogs and other cats share my hearth; I love to feel their fur with my feet. There are hawks that teach their young of flight, right there behind my house.

There are deer that tiptoe into my yard and savor the fat apples in the snow. Rows of glassed vegetables; green beans, tomatoes, peas and carrots color my pantry. And a rusty bucket of hand tools and neatly dried seeds promises next year’s riches.

I need nothing! Christmas promises already fulfilled redeem my foolish life, and occasionally I glimpse the feast that awaits me when this earthly one is done.

Today I discovered a hole in my jeans. I felt the December air slither down my leg. How mighty is the hand that sweeps the wind along the mountains.

Santa, dear old soul,

just give me another day like this one in my life.

GOOD MORNING !

I may not have the rows of glassed vegetables and a rusty bucket with seeds for next year, but just like the letter to Santa, I can say I need nothing this year.

My babes always ask for some ideas for Christmas and it gets harder and harder for me to think of something I need. I do need them around me and celebrating as a family, but they won't all be home together for a while....

Since I couldn't really come up with anything I did tell them that my old bedroom set...comforter sheets and curtains were getting quite worn out. So I guess they are all going together and getting that for me this year. But I didn't really need it...

I make do with a lot of old things around here. I just can't see why they should be replaced when they serve their purpose very well. There is just me and a few critters left at home and our needs are very simple and small.

Thankfully, today is FINALLY FRIDAY. I am so looking forward to the weekend. I've much to do and I know the list will never be done in one weekend, but I'll be giving it my best shot for sure.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

My Christmas Wish

If I could have a Christmas wish come true,

I would wish for wonderful things to come to you.

I wish you happiness in everything you do,

I hope not many worries or problems will come to you.

I wish you hope that can brighten the cloudiest day,

And strength to accept all that life sends your way.

May you rise each day with sunlight in your heart,

And may all your hopes and dreams never fall apart.

With my warmest thoughts, and memories of you,

I wish that all your joys, and wishes will come true.

When these special wishes are delivered to your door,

There's no doubt they will be, accompanied by many more.

Of all the Christmas wishes delivered to you yearly,

There couldn't be another that's wished more warmly or sincerely.

Author unknown but warmly expessed from me to you !

May the season's simple joys

Warm your heart...

Fill your home...

Last a lifetime

MA

 

 

graphics by:

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

things have gotten so expensive seems it is hard to tell people what to get you when things are so costly

Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
I loved the letter to Santa...it was beautiful!  Your children will be back home together before you know it.  I'm thankful that today is Friday.  I'm looking forward to a long weekend, because I'm taking a vacation day Monday.  I'll be home alone Monday, so I hope to get alot accomplished....wrapping presents, filling out Christmas cards, & etc. all while listing to Christmas music.  I hope that you have a BLESSED DAY TODAY!!  Sounds like you have a busy weekend....I hope you get all accomplished that you want to get done.  
Hollie

Anonymous said...

Thankyou first of all for that beautiful wish you have bestowed on us all.Next I am happy too it is Frday for you and also so I wil have that little more company to share my week/end with.I think the thought of the new bedding attire is about all we can think of at our sges.Practicle things are never lost whatever.Very usuefull anytime.I also don't see th epoint in re-neweing until completely neccesary.What a lovely story that is at the beginning of your posting today.I love the fireside graphic too.Enjoy your Friday and may you get a smile along the way and know you are being thought of in a very wram way.Safe journeys home the traffic will now be getting busier.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

What a lovely letter to Santa ,my sentiments too ,I have everything I need too for which I  am grateful ,Super entry today Pam ,enjoy your weekend ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I agree I don't need anything either. Well maybe a few things but I have everything really. Loved the entry like always. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

That was a GREAT letter to Santa...thank you for sharing it.  Whatever you give or receive for Christmas, I am sure it will be nice...and truly appreciated.  I am happy it is Friday too...I hope you have a lovely weekend...hugs and love...and thank you for your support during my rough times...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry!  I loved both the letter and the thought for the day.  Thank you for sharing.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Happy Friday!!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the presents. My kids ask me too but I never know what to say.... frustrating for them to Im sure. I hope your boots arrive in time for the snow and they are comfortable too.
Sandra

Anonymous said...

I know spending time with those we love is worth so much more than material possessions.
I am sure you will have a lot of surprises though..I love nice linens..When the white sale hits after christmas, I usually go and buy new towels and sheets.
I love giftcards for the after Christmas sales when I am always broke.
Have a good weekend.
Hugs, Cassie

Anonymous said...

Very nice entry, as usual.  I tell my children not to buy me things because I have so much. I would rather they use the money on the children because they are not rich.  Many of my things are used but still working and many cherished. Anniversary, Birthday, and soon Christmas will go by without my husband buying me anything... why... because I told him I did not need anything right now. He told me to buy a new computer for my birthday and I told him I still have a warranty on this one till June. I will get one then and say thank you for my anniversary, birthday and Christmas. lol  Wishing you a wonderful weekend with lots of blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

People spend so much money over the christmas period and a lot even go into debt just so that they can buy for one another. I like you don't need anything.  I have too much already, when my children ask me I tell them the same thing just bring yourselves that all I want.  I loved the entry and verse, thanks for sharing it we us all. Kathie.