Thursday, November 15, 2007

CHAPTER 11, PAGE 15

Benjamin Franklin came to a personal conclusion that the lighting of streets would not only add gentility to his city, but also make it safer.

In seeking to interest the people of his native Philadelphia in street lighting, however, he didn't try to persuade them by talking about it. Instead, he hung a beautiful lantern on a long bracket outside his own front door.

Then he kept the glass brightly polished, and diligently lit the wick every evening just before dusk. People wandering down the dark street saw Franklin's light a long way off. They found its glow not only friendly and beautiful, but helpful as well.

Before long, other neighbors began placing similar lights in front of their own homes. Soon, the entire city was dotted with lights and everyone awoke to the value of street lighting. The matter was taken up with interest and enthusiasm as a citywide, city-sponsored endeavor.

From: God's Little Lessons of Life for Mom

GOOD MORNING

Is your light shinning today? I feel like mine is a faint little glimmer for sure. Winter is trying to make an early appearence here in Ohio this morning .

I 'm trying to convince myself that its not so bad going off to work in the dark and it's not so bad that I have 3 layers of clothes on so that when I step out the door I don't freeze.

We were blessed with a few days of 'Indian Summer ' and now it's over. None the less like ole' Ben I must find some way to light up my littlecorner of the world today.

I won't be trying to light the lamp post, but my attitude is in need of polishing up for sure.

BLESSING FOR THE DAY

A nice warm cozy home that will be waiting for me when I return this evening

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.

Old Irish Saying

What a lot of time we can waste, worrying about things that may never happen. In fact someone went to the trouble of finding out what we worry about. The breakdown is as follows:

Worries about things that never happen…40%

Worries about decisions already made and not changeable…30%

Worries about illnesses that never materialised…12%

Worries about friends and children who turned out to be quite capable of helping themselves…10%

Worries about real problems…8%

A quick summary of this survey would say that 92% of our worries are at best unfounded and unnecessary. With the 8% that's left the Gospel invitation is: ‘Come to me all you who labour and over burdened and I will give you rest'.

Thought For Today by Fr.James McSweeney

May JOY find your HEART and warm your SOUL.

MA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

well lets just say after my dog kept me up till 3 am barking becuase I started rarranging the livingroom and did not finish it and its all astreewn my light is a bit dim too lol

Anonymous said...

loved tne entry. It's suppose to be cold here in IL. too. I guess no matter what winter is going to come, LOL. Darn. Hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

We had Indian Summer here yesterday too....now cold and rainy...and it will remain cold they say.  I love your entries...missed them while I took my break from journals....but now I am back...full force...don't want to miss anymore.  Have a wonderful day...stay warm...many hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

What an interesting story about the light in the window ,and how others followed suit good things are to be copied ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Loved the story about the lights.  It's pretty dark here too, except when the sun decides to grace us for a brief time.  But that's November in the great northwest, best to keep busy and not get depressed.  Having a nice warm home to come home to is wonderful.  Have a great day, Joni

Anonymous said...

Stay warm!  Keep your hat on and warm socks..
great story..loved it..You guys do get some harsh winters there. I have aunts and uncles who live there.

Anonymous said...

Good Evening,
I loved the Ben Franklin story.  A wonderful way to get people's interest & in the end get them to follow suit.  There's a lesson in there for us all.  Hmmmm

It's getting very cold here in GA, also.  It's very windy here today.  Stay warm & keep your light burning.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Very interesting story, never heard it before. Lovely entry. God Bless, Janie