Sunday, November 26, 2006

CHAPTER 11, PAGE 26

Two old friends bumped into one another on the street one day. One of them looked forlorn, almost on the verge of tears. His friend asked, "What has the world done to you, my old friend?"

The sad fellow said, "Let me tell you. Three weeks ago, an uncle died and left me forty thousand dollars."

"That's a lot of money."

"But you see, two weeks ago, a cousin I never even knew died, and left me eighty-five thousand free and clear."

 "Sounds like you've been blessed...."

"You don't understand!" he interrupted. "Last week my great-aunt passed away. I inherited almost a quarter of a million."

 Now he was really confused. "Then, why do you look so glum?"

"This week... nothing!"

It's the same way with the blessings God gives us every day. I don't deserve the comfortable home I live in, the beautiful scenery around me, the clean water that I drink. But after receiving these gifts (and a multitude of others) for years, I sometimes fail to be grateful.

I've come to expect these good things. And when one of them is removed for a short while (like the water being cut off), I get upset.

Focus on what you have rather than on what you don't have, and see if it doesn't improve your attitude.

From Alan Smith’s Thought for Today

GOOD MORNING !

For this morning only I still have DS#4 and his family and ‘the Newlyweds’ here. By this afternoon they’ll be headed for home too.

I’ll try to just be thankful that they all got to come home, but I’m thinking …this week nothing.

Thought For Today

No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one.

Elbert Hubbard

US author (1856 - 1915)

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

graphics by:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I love that story you began with.  So much like human nature.  I know people like that!

Anonymous said...

ah But I so envy you have grand children. I crave them so badly. I ache . Saw a grandma jar so cute at a store yesterday and I wanted to cry. Your turely blessed

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing your pictures of your family.  Looks like it was a nice holiday for everyone!
Pam

Anonymous said...

It sure looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and lots of good memories to last until the next time.... I enjoyed looking at all the pictures. Sandra

Anonymous said...

Love the story.  Makes us think.  I know I am overly grateful every day.  I feel too deep about everything.  I do consider that a good thing.  :)  Your entries are so sweet an loving and yet they have a message that hits home.  Thanks.  Love reading your journal.  :):):)
http://journals.aol.com/mrsm711/LatteDah/     Tracy

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!! What a great family you have!!!
Sorry you will be missing them.... but you have christmas to still get ready for... :)
Have a blessed Sunday!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

What an absolutley lovely family ,you must have an amazing store of stories from when they were all growing up ,...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I hope to see my son and family at christmas.  He doesn't live very far but is very busy with his football and 5 kids, i do miss him though and he is not one to phone unless he wants something.  Still christmas will soon be here.
Jenny <><
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jennyp51/stop-the-clock-times-moving-too-/

Anonymous said...

You write some wonderful things and I realy do learn from them.Most of the things I read I do abide by,but as the saying goes too, we learn something new every day no matter how old we are.Keep up this wonderful journal.it is a credit to you I love to come along here.So happy you have had your woderful family around you and enjoyed!!!!! Take Care God Bless.
Astoriasand http://journals,aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Spending Christmas day with son & family, first time hubby and I have been out at Christmas for years. I'm looking forward to it very much, and I'm sad. Daughter Gillian and little grandson are moving all the way to Corby next week; I had to take their Christmas presents and Dane's birthday present over yesterday, before the move. Doesn't seem I shall be seeing them Christmas and New Year. Will miss Dane's little antics and the carol singing with his cousin Holly - on me coffee table. They are memories from past Christmases, which I treasure dearly. Especially the time I "snapped him" - pinching Holly's sweets. He's always eating, know who little Jasmine takes after - cousin Dane.
Love & hugs
Sylvia
http://journals.aol.co.uk/Sylviam4000/YeOldeEnglishPosy/