Wednesday, November 15, 2006

CHAPTER 11, PAGE 15

 

A businessman said, "People are ingrates. It took me 61 years to find it out. I have 175 employees, men and women. At Thanksgiving, I sent them 175 choice turkeys. Only four thanked me. Two thanked me by notes and two said, ‘Thank you’ when they chanced to meet me in the hall. Because of their thanklessness, I’ve decided never to go out of my way to be nice again."

Someone has said, "If you want to find gratitude, look for it in the dictionary."

this story found surfing the net

Good Morning !

When I read the little story above, it hit home because my boss always gives everyone turkeys for Thanksgiving. This year I have a special one that has been in the freezer since the end of August.

Because one of our employees has daughters in the 4-H program , he went to the Turkey Auction at our county fair this year. He bid on several turkeys and one of them is mine.

Now I have to tell you this turkey is over 30 pounds. I’ve never cooked one this big before. I had to get a special pan (restaurant size) to put it in and I’m sure that it will take a week to thaw it out.

I always say thank you to him, personally and in a thank you card. I’ll be having 20 people for dinner, I think they’ll all be taking leftovers home too !

Today I’m thankful for a generous boss, and pray that many more people will be generous this holiday season by giving food or money for the poor that so desperately need it.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Thankfulness sets in motion

a chain reaction that transforms

all around us - including ourselves.

For no one ever misunderstands

the melody of a grateful heart.

It's message is universal;

its lyrics transcend all earthly barriers;

its music touches the heavens.

Author Unknown

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I have given gifts as showers and wedding gifts and not gotten a reply. Makes me think twice of ever doing anytihng. the notreturning an answer to questions in email. thats another one. I dont know maybe Im wrong but I send out a reply to every prayer request I get. this lady I know she has sent on a prayer chain about her problems(her daughter is the one who was inthe wreck in june) and she has not gotten even a WE WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU one time from these friends of hers who one happens to be the leader of a congregation. her daughter nearly died and I just feel that it is a shame to not get some kind of response. It saddens me the lack of simple manners we have now days. OLD and YOUNG alike anymore.

Anonymous said...

I have felt like that man in the story many many times.  Took me until my 40's to quit "overdoing" things.  I still do nice things....I'm just a bit more choosy on who and what I do for now.  Sad, huh?
Have a great day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen a 30 pound turkey. Impressive for sure. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

I have an 18lb turkey for christmas and can only just get that in the oven, i bet you have to cook yours in two halves. LOL!
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

Wow 30lbs! for twenty people... I'm not foreseeing any leftovers... lol... We got a 20lb just for the four of us....
Have a great Thursday, only one week to go, remember to take the turkey out to thaw....
Linda :)