Thursday, October 4, 2007

CHAPTER 10, PAGE 4

A group of alumni, highly established in their careers, got together to visit their old University of Notre Dame lecturer. Conversation soon turned into complaints about stress in work and life.

Offering his guests coffee, the lecturer went to the kitchen and returned with a large pot of coffee and an assortment of cups - porcelain, plastic, glass, some plain looking and some expensive and exquisite, telling them to help themselves to hot coffee.

When all the students had a cup of coffee in hand, the lecturer said: "If you noticed, all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is but normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress.

What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the better cups and are eyeing each other's cups."

"Now, if Life is coffee, then the jobs, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, but the quality of Life doesn't change."

 "Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."

GOOD MORNING!

I am enjoying my good cup of coffee this morning. There is no doubt about it. I enjoy the coffee no matter what kind of cup it is in. It’s warm, tasty and gets me going every morning !

It’s Thankful Thursday once more and I’m so very thankful for the fact that I’ve made it this far in the week. I’ve been a little stressed with work. When the end of the physical year and the end of the month come both at the same time, some pressure occurs for sure.

Added to that, we’ve been very busy with lots of work going on and I’m the only one that can do what I do. If it was like this all the time, I’d be suggesting we get some part time help, but I know in another month the weather will turn too cold for most of the work we do and things will slow down considerably.

Well, anyway, here is my list for this week:

I’m thankful for the strength to get up and go and do my work each day.

I’m thankful for my family and friends who never fail to brighten my days

I’m thankful for a day off on Friday and a wedding to celebrate this weekend.

I’m thankful for my critters who are my most loyal supporters.

I’m thankful for this journal that allows me to express my love for life and for God each and every day.

  THOUGHT FOR TODAY

One of life's gifts is that each of us, no matter how tired and downtrodden, finds reasons for thankfulness.

J. Robert Maskin

 May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

graphics by:  www.cutecolors.com

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always find important subjects for us to mull over ,this one carries a very valid message ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!  Have a great day. Linda  

Anonymous said...

great coffee story. yes I am thankful the wedding is almost here

Anonymous said...

And I am thankful to have you as my friend...hugs and love,

Joyce

Anonymous said...

You are so right about being thankful.  Love your stories.  Hope you have a great day.  Joni

Anonymous said...

Hope that things at work get less stressful. I too am closing out the month and also it is the end of our fiscal year also. I will be glad when it is done.
Love,
Kat

Anonymous said...

Very good example and so true. Yes, I have many blessings! May your day be wonderful. God Bless, Janie

Anonymous said...

The subject coffee I love too.I am just drinking one and enjoying it Mmmm.I am thankful I am here to drink it whatever time of day it is,and thankful for everything in my life,no matter what.I hope your workload soon lessons.Son has just rang from USA to say the very same thng,so it was a short chat today but I was thankful I recieved that call.Lovely story you have shared once more and a very meaningful one .May you have a few smiles today yourself and a little peek of sunshine to warm your heart too.Take Care God Bless Kath
astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES