Thursday, March 8, 2007

CHAPTER 3, PAGE 8

REFLECTIONS ON MY BIRTHDAY

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them!

Psalm 139:17

Aging is a universal condition. But the way we try to hide it, you would think it was a plague! There are girdles which compact the middle-age spread for both sexes. There are hair transplants, wigs, toupees, and hair pieces. Dentures bring youth to the mouth, wrinkle cream brings youth to the face, and the color in a bottle brings youth to the hair. All to hide what everyone already knows—we’re getting older…

Just when the truth about life sinks in, God’s truth starts to surface. He takes us by the hand and dares us not to sweep the facts under the rug but to confront them with him at our side.

Aging? A necessary process to pass on to a better world. Death? Merely a brief passage, a tunnel. Self? Designed and created for a purpose, purchased by God himself. There was that so bad?

1 of 365 devotionals in Grace for the Moment, Volume 2 by Max Lucado

Ever notice, the older we get, the more we’re like computers???

We start out with lots of memory and drive, Then we eventually become outdated, crash at odd moments, acquire errors in our systems And have to have our parts replaced

Reboot – and enjoy !

For through me your days will be many, and years will be added to your life.

Proverbs 9:11

Stay in touch with the world, and no matter what your age the world will stay in touch with you. whatever age we are now is indeed the perfect age.

God always encourages us to do what we can, with what we have and to do it to the best of our ability. Wouldn't it be great if we could say that whatever our age, that we're happy with our lot.

We ask God's help in making the most of today and everyday right up to our next birthday. It will then be time to look back in thanksgiving and to look forward in hope.

http://www.todayismygifttoyou.ie/

My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, "63." He was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"

Every day we are given the opportunity to remake ourselves and to remake this world. No matter what our age we have the potential to grow and learn and change. No matter what our age, we have the potential to give and teach and enlighten.

Never stop making birthday wishes

I don’t want to grow old God. I don’t want any part of it. But since I have no power to stop the clock, my prayer is this: Let me age with grace.

Show me the way, God. Be with me. Grant health to my body and clarity to my mind. Give me strength. Help me to overcome my vanity. Teach me to combat self-pity. Don’t allow me to become set in my ways. Shield me from isolation and from loneliness.

May the love of my family and friends be my reward for all the struggles of my youth. Let all the blessings of age emanate from me. Let wisdom flow from my mouth, let compassion flow from my heart, let acts of kindness flow from my arms, let faith flow from my soul, let joy shine forth from my eyes.

Amen

Some folks grow older with birthdays, it's true,

But others grow nicer as years widen their view.

No one will notice a few little wrinkles

When a kind, loving heart fills the eyes full of twinkles.

HELEN STEINER RICE

When you're over 50 you can still do all the things you did when you were 17 if you don't mind making an idiot of yourself.

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

P.S.  THANK YOU dear family and friends for sharing another year of blessings with me.

 

 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday and remember,.......... your younger than you will ever be again. ENJOY the day Carpe diem!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great entry ,I can relate to all this ,lol and a happy birthday ,with many many happy returns of the day ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, and may you have many more.

Anonymous said...

Do you know this entry is going to help me plenty.The pleasure is mine by the way in the sending of wishes, for your birthday, you are more than welcome.I love all that you have entered here today in this post.All so true too.I giggled away at your Grandsons question to your age.How loving are children and so funny.Have a wonderful day Hope the sun shines down on you a little too and many smiles pass you by.Take care God Bless.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

I wish for you another year of happy blessings.  As for me it's time to reboot again!

Anonymous said...

Happy Blessings to you today!  I love the remark from your granson.  Joni

Anonymous said...

LOL........I loved your grandson's remark. LOL!

Angela

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday and may you have many more of them.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

Your grandson's comment made me laugh. They are so cute, and have no concept of age.  LOL!  
Have a good day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

A very happy birthday to you!!!!!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you. I sure hope you had a great great day. LOL. on what the grandson said. To cute.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry! What your grandson said made me laugh out loud. How cute is that!? Did you start at 1  - ROFL!
Hugs to you and enjoy a great year.
penny