Wednesday, March 14, 2007

CHAPTER 3, PAGE 14

THE HABIT

I am your constant companion.

I am your greatest helper or your heaviest burden.

I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.

I am completely at your command.

Half the things you do you might as well turn over to me,

And I will be able to do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed; you must merely be firm with me.

Show me exactly how you want something done,

And after a few lessons I will do it automatically.

I am the servant of all great individuals

And, alas, of all failures as well.

Those who are great I have made great

Those who are failures I have made failures.

I am not a machine,

Though I work with all the precision of a machine

Plus the intelligence of a human being.

You may run me for profit or run me for ruin;

It makes no difference to me.

Take me, train me, be firm with me,

And I will put the world at your feet

Be easy with me, and I will destroy you.

Who am I?

I am habit!

Author Unknown

Good Morning !

Habits ! We all have them.

I’m not going to bare my soul this morning and tell about all my bad habits such as stopping for a breakfast sandwich on my way to work most mornings.

I’ve been trying to develop some good habits. But just like brushing my teeth every morning, if I never start a habit, it will never becomes one.

Years and years ago, I started reading and now I just have to read a little bit every day or else something just isn’t right. I pray when I get up and before I go to bed and very often during the day. I’ve had this habit so long that it must have been started as a child, probably by my mother.

If I’d never started, they would not have become habits. Unless we establish good habits, bad habits will set in that hinder our spiritual growth!

Everything we do in life, from which sock we put on first each morning to how we react to pressure is directly controlled by our physical and mental habits including the level of success we enjoy in our lives.

If I want to make some more good habits, I’d better start or I’ll never have them. My aim is to have more good ones than bad. I am human after all and far from perfect, but I can try.

TODAY’S THOUGHT

The unfortunate thing about this world is that good habits are so much easier to give up than bad ones.

Somerset Maugham

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 
 
 

graphics by: www.graphicgarden.com

 

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

habits ar a hard one to deal with some worse than others some are good habits. I wish I could get more into reading. BUT I just cant seem to do it. my eyes just burn and are so tired after a long day. I think its all the reading onthe net that is wearing them out. lol I did read more before I got on the net

Anonymous said...

The last few words are so true,good habits are so easy to give up.I think we all have good and bad habits.like you say lets try and use our good ones more and maybe each day replace a bad one with a good one.Good posting today I have so enjoyed as usual.Take Care Hope you get a few smiles too and a little sunshine as we are doing again today.It is so much like summer.Take care God Bless.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for these thoughts on habits, I'm having trouble right now trying to start a good one and this may help.  Have a great day!  Joni

Anonymous said...

Loved this entry, Ma... such good advice about habits, and oh, so true!!

Have a lovely day!

Hugs
Jackie

Anonymous said...

I have a habit of coming to the computer everymorning before I eat or even take my pills. I just have to see what everyone is up too or I wonder about it all day. :>)  of coarse I have other ones too and yes even bad habits but I try. hope you have a wonderful day! Sandra

Anonymous said...

Wow.... I really liked the writing on Habit. Quite an eye opener and something surely worth thinking about. I just would have never thought there could be so much behind it, but there certainly is a lot to be aware of. If you enjoy your breakfast sandwich, then it is a good habit in your day. I would do the same if I could. Have a bright, sunny day !

Anonymous said...

This wretched computer is my habit ,not sure if its good or bad, adictive I know ,I have good and bad habits ,which you have me thinking about ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I sure hope I have more good habits than bad ones.  Somehow, I don't think so. I need work. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of bad habits to give up, maybe I will now try to get rid of at least one!  Have a lovely day.  Hugs, Terry x