Monday, July 31, 2006

CHAPTER 7, PAGE 31

precepts for old age given us by Dr. Frank Crane:

1. I will not try to act nor dress nor talk so as to make people think I am younger than I am.

2. I will not pretend to be young, nor be angry when called old, nor ashamed of my age.

3. I will not complain of being old.

 4. I will not continually remind people of my old age to secure their sympathy, or to hear them say I am not so old after all or do not seem so.

5. I will not form the habit of indulging in reminiscences.

 6. I will be particularly careful not to repeat the same anecdote over and over.

7. I will not complain of the present and claim the past was much better.

8. If I am deaf, weak-eyed, lame, or otherwise afflicted, I will not advertise my infirmities, but avoid obtruding them upon the notice of others as much as possible.

9. I will not talk of myself, my work, my achievements, even of my mistakes, any more than necessary.

10. I will speak cheerfully or keep still.

11. I will never indulge in cynicism, never sneer at youth and will always try to appreciate what younger folks do.

12. I shall concede my life's triumph to be growing triumphantly, victoriously old.

13. In a word, I shall try to adjust myself to old age, as well as to all other facts of life.

GOOD MORNING !

Monday is here once again and TRIUMPHANTLY, VICTORIOUSLY I’m off to work again. I love those words. Just saying them gives me energy. No matter what age we are, it seems that we do talk a lot about how old we are.

I can remember when I turned 16 and my only desire was to get my driver’s license. When I was 21 my desire was to be married. At 27 my desire was to have a child. At 40 I wanted to go back to work and now at 62 I’m still working.and can look back at the triumphs!

Triumphantly and victoriously I’m off to work this morning ! (I am repeating myself, oh dear) I hope that what ever you may be doing today, whatever age you are - you’ll be able to say those words too -- emphatically!

We all deserve to!

Thought for Today

Cherish all your happy moments: they make a fine cushion for old age.

Christopher Morley US

author & journalist (1890 - 1957)

May your day be filled with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

graphics by:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes our goals change with age dont they. How ever Im not giving in to old age. lol fighitng it all the way

Anonymous said...

I love this list and can see myself there in some of them. I surely don't mind being "old-er" at all, I just wonder how I got here this fast. Those are great words --triumphantly and victoriously --wow, I can feel the power just in saying them.

Anonymous said...

LOL when I was 21 I only wanted to get in the bars legally. Hope you have a great day.