Friday, November 11, 2005

It's FINALLY FRIDAY !

 

Good Morning!

I’ve found a few special poems for some very special people today

So instead of my usual post this morning –

I offer the following:

 

Autumn leaves speak of sad memories

-- poppies in lapels.

 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow

 Between the crosses, row on row,

That mark our place; and in the sky

The larks, still bravely singing, fly

Scarce heard amid the guns below

We are the dead.

Short days ago

We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,

 Loved, and were loved,

 and now we lie In Flanders fields.

Colonel John McRae, In Flanders Fields

November 11th - Veteran's Day in America

Amistice Day,1918, Remembered

 

Remembrance Day is here again,

On this day we remember all those who were slain.

The ones they left behind have

endured much sorrow and pain.

 But rest assured, the whole world

 knows those brave ones didn't die in vain.

 The poppies that you see people wear,

Are there to show you they still care.

 We open our hearts so that we can share,

A moment of silence, and offer a prayer.

To all the soliders that died saving our country.

 Patti Joyce

 

U.S. military service veterans have organized groups such as the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars. On Veterans' Day and Memorial Day, these groups raise funds for their charities by selling paper poppies made by disabled veterans. This bright red wildflower became a symbol after the horrific WWI battle in Flanders Field in Belgium. The field, littered with the bodies of young soldiers, was also filled with poppies

 

Dear Lord - be with all those who are facing war this day - our men and woman at sea and on land and in the air in the mid-east; and be with the rulers of this world and all the world's citizens, that we may learn and live the way of peace with justice

***BIG SMILE***

MA

 

graphics by:

  www.amretasgraphics.com  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes I think though that ONLY veterans should be paid for the day off. I find it amazing that banks close and city offices adn to tell you the truth most verterans are not working there. I personally think that you should only have the day off IF you are a veteran. My dad was a truck driver and never had hte day off. AND if you wnat ot know something funny he at 70 works in a retirement center and is not getting the day off!!!!!!!! I think we need to prioritize to truely celebrate it. how bout walmrt and other stores pitching in giving htem 20 % off any purchase that day. !!!!!!!!!! If your a veteran. Not a big sale to make money for them and everyone else get a deal. How bout ONLY celebrating them!!!!!! I just feel sometimes we got it all wrong. its really thier day.

Anonymous said...

I love the Poppy and it is so fighting that it is used for Remembrance because they bloomed in vast profusion on the fields of Flanders. I have used them on my little Memorial entry today.  So glad that I can visit you now.  I have put you on alerts.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Hi, I fixed your link. I don't know how I got the wrong one. Some aren't even working but yours is now. : )
Angela