Sunday, September 7, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 9, PAGE 7

Aloha to learn what is not said, to see what cannot be seen & to know the unknowable.

Queen Liliakalani

A renown and beloved linguist, Paki gave spiritual meaning to each letter of the word aloha:

A stands for AKAHAI, meaning kindness, expressed with tenderness.

L is for LOKAHI, meaning unity, expressed with harmony.

O is for OLU`OLU, meaning agreeable, expressed with pleasantness.

H stands for HA`AHA`A, meaning humility, expressed with modesty.

A stands for AHONUI, meaning patient and persevering

These are traits of character that express the charm, warmth and sincerity of Hawaii's people. It was the working philosophy of native Hawaiians and was presented as a gift to the people of Hawaii.

GOOD AFTERNOON !

I was blessed with another restful weekend and am back home again. Now begins the work of getting things in order so that I can start a new work week once more.

We had some rain showers come through on Friday evening and I fell asleep to the sound of rain drops on the camper. Saturday was cool but mostly sunny and the campfire took on real meaning Saturday night as the warmth was appreciated. Sunday morning brought a few brief showers but then it cleared up, although it was mostly cloudy, it was really nice outside.

DS#1 was up early and had a fine breakfast prepared for us before I even left for church Sunday morning. I usually go and then eat after I return. For the first time in a couple of months, I actually had to dig out my jeans and a sweatshirt to put on for the rest of the day.

Our high for the day has been a cool 70 degrees. I found the beagle shivering in his chair on the camper deck this morning and covered him up with one of the beach towels. He snuggle in and slept there for a couple of hours. Next weekend they will close the campground swimming pool as from here on in our warm days will be few.

I hope you are all renewed and refreshed for the new week ahead. The good Lord certainly knew what he was doing when he created weekends.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

ALOHA

Respect all elders and children.

Leave places better than you find them.

Hold the door.

Hold the elevator.

Plant something.

Drive with courtesy.

Never drive impaired.

Attend an event of another culture.

Return your shopping cart.

Get out and enjoy nature.

Pick up litter.

Share with your neighbors.

Create smiles.

Create a list and share it

This list is only a starting point. Add to the list any acts which enhance our people and our land

Aloha means I love - so I say

Aloha Oe

MA

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, and that first feeling of crispness makes a campfire even better, doesn't it?

Have a great week,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a restful weekend.  Wishing you a happy and trouble free week.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the campfire, nothing better when a nip is in the air.  Did you do any smores?  :o)

Anonymous said...

I like to sleep to the sound of rain as long as there are not any tornado warnings. lol Looks a little cool with the jackets. I wore one to church today. Awww poor little beagle. :)  I enjoyed my email friends yesterday. It rained so stayed in and cooked burgers and hot dogs. Hope work is easy this coming week. Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures.  The camp fires are so wonderful now that it is cooler.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Love that campfire. One of my dogs is cold natured but the other one doesn't seem to be. Have a great week :)..........alice

Anonymous said...

It has been so cold today we have put the heating on.  Some places in the Uk have been flooded with the rain and homes once again ruined.  Thankfully we live in rather a dry patch and never flood or see a lot of rain.  Glad you had a good weekend.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

to add to your list of kindness (which were all good) that we can do for others, I would add "say hi and a smile to a stranger as you walk by"

it is that time of year, isn't it,for the fall days to sneak in among the end of summer days; nice you had a campfire to keep yourself warm

may you have a good week ahead :)

betty

Anonymous said...

It's been just HOT here this weekend.  The campfire is beautiful!  I love them!  I can't wait until they feel good here.  That was so sweet of DS#1 to have breakfast ready!!!!  Please send some of that cooler weather down south.....

Hugs,
Hollie

P.S.  I hope you have a wonderful week!

Anonymous said...

What a great list.....thank you for giving me much to think about today :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda
P.S....................The campfire sounds delightful!

Anonymous said...

Shalom;
I than you for the beautiful lession of the meaning behind Aloha. I shall never use that lovely word lightly again.
Laini

Anonymous said...

Good morning. I am so glad that you have had such a lovely weekend.  I did have to laugh at you saying it was cooling down !!  70deg.!!  I think if we have had 2 weeks of temps. as high as that we have been lucky this summer...I was away for the weekend and it never stoped raining for 48 hours !! There has been a lot of flooding and lots of poor people are going to be without accomodation for quite a few months ntil their homes dry out...Just listning to the wetahre man at the moment and he says it should be dry today....yipee...but more showers and rain to come during the week....and temps around the 58/60deg. so not cold thats something to be thankful for.   Much Aloha Sybil xxx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

I like this definition of Aloha. It is good for every relationship. Cooler? It was 49 degrees here last night! Brrr! My beagles were snuggled up tight to me to stay warm. I think they wish I would close the window!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Still in the 90's here.....
Linda :)