Thursday, September 11, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 9, PAGE 11

Make Me an Instrument of Your Peace

Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love,

Where there is injury, pardon

Where there is doubt, faith,

Where there is despair, hope,

Where there is darkness, light,

Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I

 may not so much seek to be consoled

as to console, not so much to be understood

as to understand, not so much to be loved,

as to love; for it is in giving that we receive,

it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,

it is in dying that we awake to eternal life

GOOD MORNING !

I’ve put the prayer for peace in my entry today in memory of 9/11/01. I don’t think we should ever for get those that lost their lives that day. It was an unforgettable day and one that put terror in to all our hearts.

2008 marks the seventh anniversary of the worst terrorist attack inflicted on our nation Today is Patriot Day in our country. It reflects the compassion of people who stepped forward to help those they've never met and the generosity of millions of Americans who enriched our country with acts of service and kindness on that 11th day of September in 2001.

It is a true demonstration of why our country stands against those who force harm upon us. We are so privileged to live in a country that is for the most part peaceful. Others are not so fortunate. Many of our sons and daughters, husbands and wives, and brothers and sisters are fighting as I write this.

I am not promoting war, but I do support our Troops that work round the clock in some means or another to keep our country safe. If we all each did a little something each day to promote peace, wars and rumors of wars would cease.

The regrettable fact is that few do. When we have teen age gangs in our country killing more people in one given day than soldiers dying in Iraq or Afghanistan, something is terribly wrong.

Peace begins with you and me. It begins in the home where we teach our children to love and embrace life. It begins with our neighbors and our elected officials. It takes all of us to obtain peace in our world.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

If in our daily life we can smile,

if we can be peaceful and happy,

not only we, but everyone will profit from it.

This is the most basic kind of peace work.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Let there be peace on earth

And let it begin with me

MA

 

 

graphics by:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry!!!!  I loved the prayer...It's something I needed to read as well.  I agree totally with your entry.  I do not promote war either, but I do want to support our troops!  Thank You Dear Lord for them. It's my prayer that You would be With them & protect them!  I do agree that peace & love starts at home....

Thank you for this entry!
Hugs,
Hollie

Anonymous said...

I love that poem, always have.  What a beautiful entry. I do not think anyone will ever forget.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

On that terrible day, we came together as a nation. I only wish we could have held onto that feeling.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Prayers going up. I watched it live on TV. It was terrible. I agree that it starts in the home. Hope your day goes well at work. Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

Yes Peace on Earth...amen.

Anonymous said...

Yes MA, Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me.   Love  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

beautiful entry; peace begins with Jesus :) may we all remember to continue to pray for our country and our troops

betty

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget...
Linda...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tribute & entry.....I will never forget 9/11, or that peace truly does begin with me. Thank you....

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Beautiul tribute...very heartfelt...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Great tribute!