Friday, September 19, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 9, PAGE 19

Autumn is a reminder

that each of us in beautiful

in our uniqueness

A CUP OF HOT CHOCOLATE

A group of graduates, well established in their careers, were talking at a reunion and decided to go visit their old university professor, now retired. During their visit, the conversation turned to complaints about stress in their work and lives.

Offering his guests hot chocolate, the professor went into the kitchen and returned with a large pot of hot chocolate and an assortment of cups — porcelain, glass, crystal, some plain looking, some expensive, some exquisite. He then told them all to help themselves to the hot chocolate.

When they each had a cup of hot chocolate in hand, the professor said: "Notice that all the nice looking, expensive cups were taken, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves that is the source of your problems and stress."

"The cup that you're drinking from adds nothing to the quality of the hot chocolate. In most cases it is just more expensive and in some cases even hides what we drink."

 "What all of you really wanted was hot chocolate, not the cup ... but you consciously went for the BEST cups."

 "And then you began eyeing each other's cups."

"Now consider this: Life is the hot chocolate; your job, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain life."

 "The cup you have does not define, nor change the quality of life you have. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the hot chocolate."

The happiest people don't need the best of everything. They just make the best of everything that they have.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. And enjoy your hot chocolate!!

Author Unknown

GOOD MORNING !

I am enjoying my good cup of coffee (not hot chocolate ) this morning and taking my time slowly waking up. It’s a vacation day and I don’t have to rush off to work ! It’s been a long time since a spent a vacation day at home.

Since the beginning of camping season they’ve all been spent at the campground. This long 3 day weekend will be different from what I’d originally planned, but isn’t that life for you…we can make all the plans in the world, but when it comes down to it we are not the ones in control. Maybe it was meant to be that I’m at home this weekend.

A little later on I’m going out shopping. I refuse to work at home on a vacation day. Tomorrow I’ll work at thome. There are a couple of shops I like to visit at least once a year so that’s where I’m headed.

One is a Pepperidge Farm Outlet store, the next is a place called the Garden Basket that has lots of plants and all kinds of decorative stuff for outdoors and indoors too. The last place is a department store that sells name brand things for less than the regular price. I don’t know if it is a chain or not but it’s called Steinmart. It’ll just be fun looking around. I am not shopping for anything imparticular.

These 3 places are all on the same road and just a few miles from each other and not too far from home.

I talked to the campground owner yesterday and they are hoping we’ll have everything back to normal with the power by next week. I do hope so. I’m missing my little place in the woods very much.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

ONE DAY AT A TIME

Our lives are made up of a million moments, spent in a million different ways. Some are spent searching for love, peace, and harmony. Others are spent surviving day by day. But there is no greater moment than when we find that life, with all it's joys and sorrows, is meant to be lived one day at a time.

It's in this knowledge that we discover the most wonderful truth of all. Whether we live in a forty-room mansion, surrounded by servants and wealth, or find it a struggle to manage the rent month to month, we have it within our power to be fully satisfied and live a life with true meaning.

One day at a time - we have that ability, through cherishing each moment and rejoicing in each dream. We can experience each day anew, and with this fresh start we have what it takes to make all our dreams come true.

Each day is new, and living one day at a time enables us to truly enjoy life and live it to the fullest.

Author Unknown

 

Fall wishes for

Simple pleasures

Beautiful memories

Love in your heart

Happy reflections

And much to be thankful for always

Ma

 

 

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely entry as always, have a great three day break

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

yep Steinmart is a chain...love shoppin there too...The Garden Basket sounds like fun...enjoy your time off
cindi

Anonymous said...

Have a good vacation day!!!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your "extra" day!

Beth

Anonymous said...

My kind of stores!  Wish I was there to go with you.
I don't have outlet stores close to me,  sure wish
I did.   I am not a big brand name shopper,  unless
I can get a real DEAL,  I love that.
It is going to be a beautiful fall weekend. Cool and
crisp here, Looking forward to fall festivals, football
games,  music shows and another reunion.  Busy!
I sure hope your camping gets back on track.  I
know how you love it.  Have a great day.   Pat

Anonymous said...

I haven't been over here much lately, but when I came today I REALLY enjoyed the hot chocolate story, and the thought for the day. Enjoy your vacay day, and have fun shopping! That's always fun! I hope you find some fun things to buy.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Hope that you have enjoyed your day and that you found some nice bargains in the shops. I am looking forward to hearing what you have bought.   we are celebrating here today as we have ahd a day of sunshine !! it is even WARM !! we have been able to sit out a while and just soak it all up....Much Love  sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

I love hot chocolate in the winter. "-) I bet you are really enjoying the morning not having to go to work... I sure would!! I look at things like that.. maybe not meant for me to do it. I do the same thing, LOOK, lol because as you have seen from my journal... there is not much that I need. lol They don't sell new bodies yet. lol Hope you have a very fun and productive Friday and weekend. Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the hot chocolate thingie!  That is so true.  We seem to get caught up in all the other things & ignore what is really important.  I am very guilty of this!  I hope you have had a wonderful day off....I'm interested in your shopping adventure!  Enjoy your weekend!

Hollie

Anonymous said...

We drink hot chocolate on snow days...and I still have my coffee...like you...got to have it.  
Hope all is well at the campground soon...and hope you enjoyed time out shopping...have a great weekend...hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

Glad you are making it a true vacation day and doing no work. Hope your shopping sojourn was great :o)

Anonymous said...

I love hot chocolate, especially "white hot chocolate" from Disney World....YUM! I also love shopping at Steinmart, they have a lot of great deals. Have fun :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed your shopping day; sounds like some neat stores you wanted to go to; we don't have a Steinmart here, but it sounds like a great place to get some good bargains

thanks for your kind comments in my journal :)

I hope the rest of your weekend goes smoothly

betty

Anonymous said...

I thought of you on Friday as I also had a vacation day.....
I'm sure you enjoyed your day out and about! at least you were not at work.....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoyed your vacation day at home! Shopping at leisure can be pleasant.