Thursday, September 18, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 9, PAGE 18

Autumn is a reminder that

each of us in beautiful

in our uniqueness

Autumn is youthful, mirthful, frolicsome--the child of summer's joy--and on every side there are suggestions of juvenility and mischief. While spring is a careful artist who paints each flower with delicate workmanship, autumn flings whole pots of paint about in wild carelessness.

The crimson and scarlet colours reserved for roses and tulips are splashed on the brambles till every bush is aflame, and the old creeper-covered house blushes like a sunset.

Roger Wray

GOOD MORNING !

Every year at this time we revel in the beauty of the trees, knowing well that it is only a fleeting pleasure. Before long the leaves will flutter away from their summer home and become a part of the rich carpet that covers the forest floor.

Many people suppose that Jack Frost is responsible for the color change, but we now know that change in coloring is the result of chemical processes which take place in the tree as the season changes from summer to winter

Fall weather conditions favoring formation of brilliant red autumn color are warm sunny days followed by cool, nights with temperatures below 45o F

I found this color chart and thought it was interesting that different trees turn different colors too.

Oaks: red, brown or russet

Hickories: golden bronze

Dogwood: purple-red

Birch: bright yellow

 paper birch

 yellow birch

Poplar: golden yellow

Maple trees show a whole range of colors:

Sugar Maple: orange-red

Black Maple: glowing yellow

Red Maple: bright scarlet

Now when I take my drive to the campsite and while I’m at the campground I’ll be keeping my eye out for the different colors as they change. Our horizon is still mostly green with just tinges of color here and there. But the nights are getting cooler and the days shorter so it won’t be long.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

I didn't ask for it to be over,

but then again,

I never asked for it to begin.

For that's the way it is with life,

as some of the most beautiful days

come completely by chance.

But even the most beautiful days

eventually have their sunsets.

Author Unknown

Fall wishes for

Simple pleasures

Beautiful memories

Love in your heart

Happy reflections

And much to be thankful for always

Ma

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting what the different tree colors are!  I'll be looking for them too.  Have a great last work day this week!

Hugs,
Hollie

Anonymous said...

I so enjoyed the list of the colours of the trees, they are still quite green here except for our Rowan which is always the first to turn orange/red

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying the visual of fall...not m(any)deciduous trees here in SWFL....lol
cindi

Anonymous said...

O I love the duck! I always look for her when shopping for greeting cards. Growing up in Boston, Ma, this is my favorite time of the year. I do miss the array of colours ones enjoys in New Emgland.
Laini

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the sugar maple. That bright orange-red almost seems to glow!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Joyous Fall.  I love it.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the color chart; that was interesting to read

I remember when we lived in Montana going to the top of the rims (a cliff type surrounding the north end of the city) and looking down in fall you could see a mass of color, red, yellow, orange; a few months later the same view would be barren but with a return of spring, again gorgeous colors of trees blooming

enjoy the day!

betty

Anonymous said...

I loved reading the colour change you have put in your journal very interesting.I have all evergreens in my garden so I do not see much change of colour around me whilst at home.I have to wait until I am out travelling to see all the beauty.Still there are no falling leaves to sweep up  which is great LOL!!I just adore the little graphics too,they made me smile and cheered me plenty.Just lovely. Have a lovely long weekend whatever you are about to do.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Loved this entry!

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

I love the beautiful fall colors! Hope your day goes well. God Bless, Janie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the list of the different color leaves......I'm going to print it out!  This is my very favorite time of year, the colors make me feel so connected. Enjoy the beauty of the day.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

My little red maple already is red! I love seeing the colors - it's the only thing that makes the cooler temps worth it to me. Then we should start spring and skip winter.