Saturday, September 20, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 9, PAGE 20

Autumn is a reminder

that each of us is beautiful

in our uniqueness

Autumn. . . makes a double demand.

It asks that we prepare for the future-

-that we be wise in the ways

of garnering and keeping.

But it also asks that we learn to let go-

-to acknowledge the beauty

of sparseness.

Bonaro W. Overstreet

GOOD MORNING !

It seems the days of garnering and keeping are just about gone in our society today. There was a time when most people counted on stocking their pantries with food that they put up in jars during the summer to feed their family over the winter. Now it is convenient just about anytime of the year to go to the grocery store and buy what ever you need.

Farmers still have to put up hay and feed for their livestock and count on a good harvest as that is their livelihood, but we city folks know very little about that.

When my babes were little and I was a SAHM (stay at home mom) I always planted a garden and canned fruits and vegetables for the winter. It was nice to open a jar of homemade applesauce or sliced peaches in the middle of winter. Green beans would taste like they just came from the garden. The taste certain beats anything that comes out of a can.

I put away all those jars etc when I went back to work years ago, but I do remember….

There are other things besides food that we need to garner and keep. Garnering all the good memories of my warm summer days at the camper will help me get through the cold days of winter. Keeping my focus on what is truly important will make me appreciated what I do have.

Preparing for the future is something we all need to do in more ways than one. As I get older my future doesn’t always look as bright as it once did, but then there are many things still to look forward too.

Since there have been a few really chilly nights lately I’ve put my flannel sheets back on the bed. Now that is what I call preparing….

I’ll be spending the day working…lots to do in and out here at home so it’ll be a busy one.

See you all again in the morning !

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

There is always something positive,

productive, enriching and fulfilling

that you can do.

Get up, get going,

and make a difference

in your own special way.

Ralph Marston

Fall wishes for

Simple pleasures

Beautiful memories

Love in your heart

Happy reflections

And much to be thankful for always

Ma

 

graphics by:

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did all that canning & stocking when I was a kid.  We didn't go to the store very much...except for flour, sugar, & etc.  We raised what we ate ~ including pigs & cows.  Mama milked too.  What memories....

I love all your shopping treasures.  I'm burning apple candles right now.  They are my favorites.  It won't be too long before I put my flannel sheets on too.  I LOVE those things....so warm & snuggly.  It's so hard to get out of the bed with these things on in the winter.

Have a wonderful day!

Hollie

Anonymous said...

have great day
cindi

Anonymous said...

I don't can, but I AM a "stocker-upper." We have a large freezer and got a side of beef last year; and we have a large pantry in the basement with shelves full of stuff. I think I get it from my Mom...her and Dad grew up during the Depression, so she always made sure we had plenty of food. I'm glad we have enough room so that I can indulge my tendencies! ;)

Have a lovely day!

Beth

Anonymous said...

This time of year, the mornings are chill, requiring a jacket, and then afternoons warm enough for shirt sleeves and the convertible top down.  Today will be yard work since it rained all last weekend. :o)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ma, How you doing.  Hope that you have had a good day even if you are not at the camper park.  We have had a glorious day here again...second in a row !!  I was even able to walk....well trundle...up to the church earlier today to take up the harvest goods as tomorrow is our harvest festival service also stopped a while to help decorate the church it is looking nice. This is about the first time I have dared to walk ( I try to convince my brain that I am walking LOL ) up the village...rather than driving up....always the rain was never far away.  This afternoon Mary and I have been sitting out just lapping up the warm sunshine.   Love for now  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

You sure are right we have to plan for the months ahead.I bought a new electric blanket last week for my bed LOL!! Not needing it yet but it's ready and waiting for that cold winter chill.I always keep a good stocked pantry all year round.Usually I end up giving half of it away now living alone as I do.The winter dressing gown has been worn a couple of weeks now as it's been chilly in the evenings. Though today and yesterday have been like the middle of summer.It's been beautiful.Gardening all day long I have been and with the lawns cut and everything evergreen clipped to shape it looks delightful.My geraniums are floroushing wonderful and glow in the dark.Have a very Blessed Sunday.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading about garnering; I'm going to garner some of my summer memories to remember when the nights are long with it getting dark eariler; good thing to reflect on!! thanks for sharing that :)

hoping your day was a good, busy, and productive one :)

betty

Anonymous said...

oops, I forgot to look at your pictures before I did my first comment; you found some wonderful things on your shopping adventures yesterday! I liked the apple candle :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like you got lots of bargains! Spice will be nice for Thanksgiving. Great idea. :)  I have always been a SAHM except being an Avon Group Leader! I hated that job because I am not a leader. lol I did make the award of best leader though. lol I have never been one to can. :(  My mom and Granny did. You will have lots of photos to look at on snowy days. lol Have a great Sunday. Janie

Anonymous said...

I love that shirt with the brown pants, You have excellent taste.   what a great bunch of bargains you got.
I like the easy spirit brand shoes too.  I have a pair of tennis shoes.
Yes, it is time to prepare it seems, summer is ending and winter on the way.
I Hope we get one snow this year anyway.  We have not had snow foever it seems.

Anonymous said...

Planning ahead is always good! You had quite a shopping trip....my favorite is the apple candle, I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, candles!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda
P.S...............I love the Autumn Bear graphic :)

Anonymous said...

Look at all the special treats you found while out.....
it's finally down to the 80's here but not cool enough yet.....
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

You had a wonderful shopping spree!

These days, people can rarely plan past dark. Planning for the future is an "old" concept. It's sad!