Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Autumn is a reminder that

each of us in beautiful

in our uniqueness

A little story for you today

There was once a spider who lived in a cornfield. He was a big spider and he had spun a beautiful web between the corn stalks. He got fat eating all the bugs that would get caught in his web. He liked his home and planned to stay there for the rest of his life.

One day the spider caught a little bug in his web, and just as the spider was about to eat him, the bug said, "If you let me go I will tell you something important that will save your life." The spider paused for a moment and listened because he was amused. "You better get out of this cornfield," the little bug said, "The harvest is coming!"

The spider smiled and said, "What is this harvest you are talking about? I think you are just telling me a story." But the little bug said, "Oh no, it is true. The owner of this field is coming to harvest it soon. All the stalks will be knocked down and the corn will be gathered up. You will be killed by the giant machines if you stay here."

The spider said, "I don't believe in harvests and giant machines that knock down corn stalks. How can you prove this?" The little bug continued, "Just look at the corn. See how it is planted in rows? It proves this field was created by an intelligent designer."

The spider laughed and mockingly said, "This field has evolved and has nothing to do with a creator. Corn always grows that way." The bug went on to explain, "Oh no. This field belongs to the owner who planted it, and the harvest is coming soon."

The spider grinned and said to the little bug, "I don't believe you," and then the spider ate the little bug for lunch. A few days later, the spider was laughing about the story the little bug had told him. He thought to himself, "A harvest! What a silly idea. I have lived here all of my life and nothing has ever disturbed me.

I have been here since these stalks were just a foot off the ground, and I'll be here for the rest of my life, because nothing is ever going to change in this field. Life is good, and I have it made."

The next day was a beautiful sunny day in the cornfield. The sky above was clear and there was no wind at all. That afternoon as the spider was about to take a nap, he noticed some thick dusty clouds moving toward him. He could hear the roar of a great engine and he said to himself, "I wonder what that could be?"

GOOD MORNING !

The little story above could be a parable about a good many things. Just because we believe something to be true because that is the way it has always been doesn’t necessarily mean that it is true. We need to be alert and ready for changes and we need to be aware of what is going on around us.

Everyone thought the world was flat at one time. I can only wonder what those people thought when they found out it was round.

People here in Ohio are still trying to recover from the very high winds that Ike brought to us. Many are with out power and will be for days yet and much damage was done from falling trees. I heard on the news that we even lost 4 lives in our state due to the storm.

I’m just fine and so are my children that live in the state, but many are suffering. I don’t ever remember having any significant damage before from a hurricane. It is just unbelievable.

The good cup of coffee here by my desk is just about empty and it’s that time again

I owe, I owe,

It’s off to work I go….

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

What the heart knows today, the head will understand tomorrow.

James Stephens

Fall wishes for

Simple pleasures

Beautiful memories

Love in your heart

Happy reflections

And much to be thankful for always

Ma

 

 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for those affected by the hurricane.  I am sorry to hear that lives were lost.  We take electricity for granted, I mea we flick a switch and expect it to be there.  I cannot imagine what it must be like to be without it for days on end or even weeks.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

what a good way to start my morning. Thank you
Marti

Anonymous said...

I love that story he should have listened to the spider. Hope all is well. Sorry I haven't been around much.

Anonymous said...

Nice story...good way to start our day...thx
cindi

Anonymous said...

We never know what is around the corner do we? advise we must take and surely be aware of everything today in my opinion.Yes the storms have been terrible.Son had a 60ft tree down from his neighbours garden wrecking his fence over the weekend.I think the tail end of Ike did it but probably it was loosened during GUSTAV.It fell away from sons home but went through the roof of a neighbouring home .Poor things. I have prayed for everyone who are affected by these terrible hurricanes.He had to use a generator as his electric was off almost a week.Lets take heed of all warnings.I hope you have a wonderful and calm Tuesday.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

We lost a couple of people, too--a father and son were trying to help some kids that were in danger, and the two men drowned. Isn't that sad? I hope things get back to normal for everyone soon.

Beth

Anonymous said...

I've seen and heard so much on the news about your area, and prayers sent up for all...hope power comes back very soon...for all without.  
Hope your week goes well...many hugs and love,
Joyce

Anonymous said...

I heard we had 2 men that lost their lives in a golf cart on the golf course b/c a big tree fell on them.  It was last Sunday.  I had not heard that but a coworker said they heard it on the news.  The golf course was not too far from our house.  So sad.  Hope your state recovers soon.  And of course that you get more coffee.  lol
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Our poor nation has suffered some
devastating blows lately.  However,
He said in His Word
  "Be still and know that I am God",
(Psalm 46:10)
I believe He has everything under
control.  He has a hard time getting
our attention, does'nt He?  Hugs,  Pat

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that lovely story.  I had never heard it before..I am so glad that you are all safe from the terrible storms... love  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

I loved the story about the spider & the bug!  I'm glad that you & your children are all fine.  Maybe things will back to normal soon for the many others.

Hugs,
Hollie

Anonymous said...

that is a powerful story about the bug and the spider; lots of insightful things to think about with it

it is amazing how much damage Ike brought with it; such a powerful storm; I'm hoping people's power will be restored quickly for them

betty

Anonymous said...

I know the weather is scary..all we can do is be prepared and pray.
Hope you have a really good week.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm Know what you mean about the storms. The tornados have been so many and so terrible. Really makes one wonder. Glad that you and all of your children are alright. We just got 12 inches of rain. It went east of us or hard telling how much rain we would have gotten. The river here was out in the very low places but if another 12 inches our city would have been flooded. Wishing you a good rest of the week. God Bless, Janie  oh, forgot to say I really like that little spider story. That is the way it is going to be when Jesus comes again.

Anonymous said...

The storms have been so devastating for so many, and my prayers are certainly with them during this uprooting of their lives.
I loved your story about the spider and the bug....and I have been through enough lately to make me stop and remember that God's hand is on the themostat of my life. Things happen that you just can't imagine, and while you can never plan for these incidents....you better stop thinking you have your perfect little life all planned out. I have been reminded who the Grand designer really is!

Thanks for sharing.

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story.  Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I like the spider story........
Linda :)