Sunday, February 24, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 2, PAGE 24

 

THE STRANGER IN THE HOUSE

(I found this surfing the net and it was too good not to share. I did shorten it a bit because it was so long.)

A few years after I was born, my Dad met a stranger who was new to our small town. From the beginning Dad was fascinated with this enchanting newcomer and soon invited him to live with our family.

The stranger was quickly accepted and was around from then on. As I grew up, I never questioned his place in my family. My parents were complementary instructors. Mom taught me good from evil and Dad taught me to obey. But the stranger…he was our story teller. He would keep us spell bound for hours on end.

If I wanted to know anything about politics, history or science, he always knew the answers about the past, understood the present and even seemed to be able to predict the future. He made me laugh and he made me cry. The stranger never seemed to stop talking and Dad didn’t seem to mind.

Dad ruled our household with certain moral convictions, but the stranger never felt obligated to honor them. Profanity, for example, was not allowed in our home. Our visitor, however, got away with four-letter words that burned my ears I now know that my early concepts about relationships were influenced strongly by the stranger. Time after time, he opposed the values of my parents, yet he was seldom rebuked and NEVER asked to leave.

More than fifty years have passed since the stranger moved in with our family. He has blended right in and is not nearly as fascinating as he was at first.

Still you will find him sitting over in his corner waiting for someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures.

His name?.... We just call him, “TV”

PS  He has a wife now…We call her “Computer”

 

 

GOOD MORNING !

I hope you enjoyed the little story above. It points out a major fact in that we have been changed so much by that STRANGER that invaded all our homes in the not too far distant past.

I started out with the topic of change for today and I guess that TV was a major thing. Of course younger people will not be able to remember a day without a TV and our children’s children will never be able to remember a day without a computer.

I guess the main thing is that we have to be able to keep our values and ethics and be able to make a distinction from the influences of the TV and the Computer and hold fast to the real and important treasures we have.  

The pictures above are of the golf carts that DS#1 and family and DD and her hubby got to use at the campground this year.  They just got them this week and DS#1 has them at his house.  He also got a new campstove that our Prince Charming is showing off and that looks really nice with a griddle and burners.  It won't be long now and we'll be camping !

It is SUNDAY my day of R&R and as always I’m going to be going off to church to get my weekly dose. Maybe some consider ‘church’ to be old fashioned and out of style, but it remains for me something I need and that I want to do. You all remain in my prayers…another thing that will never change.

 

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The art of living does not consist in preserving and clinging to a particular mood of happiness, but in allowing happiness to change its form. . . happiness, like a child, must be allowed to grow up.

Charles L. Morgan

We're older and wiser and more capable of taking all we can from the present moment, so here the present moment is--what are you waiting for?

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES

and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

 

GRAPHICS BY

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need my weekly dose also.  If I don't go, I feel so empty the following week.

Anonymous said...

I just can't wait for camping season to start!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I can remember when we first had a TV  in fact I can remember when we clicked the switch ,and voila ,so no more did we hear ,mind the lamp ! as we played near the oil lamp lol ....We had electricity ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

lol Sorry when I saw the title the first thing I heard was the melody of "There's a Stranger In The House." Had to be an old song because my range of music now is gospel, gospel, and gospel. lol Oh gee... how true about the TV !!! Too cute... the wife. lol Oh I bet you can not wait until camping time.:-) Must say you have made me think a little about camping.. which I never have. :) Have a blessed day, Janie

Anonymous said...

I recall getting our first "color TV." OMG it was a big deal! LOL! Maple wood, they were a piece of furniture. And we had only one. Not one in each room like everyone does now. That was a good story.
Hope you have a good Sunday....and a good week ahead. Don't the weekends go by so fast?
Pam

Anonymous said...

yes, I recall our first tv when we married.  It was a 26" Floor model RCA.  I think it was $400.00
It can be addictive and I think parents should screen most programs  before letting the kids watch.
The key at our house is moderation.