Wednesday, December 6, 2006

CHAPTER 12, PAGE 6

St. Nicholas Day !

St. Nicholas was born in 271 AD and died around December 6, 342 or 343 AD near the Asia Minor (Turkey) town of Myra,. where he later became Bishop. He performed many good deeds and was a friend to the poor and helpless, and upon his death, myths soon sprang up about him all around the Mediterranean Sea.

He was reputed to be able to calm the raging seas, rescue desperate sailors, help the poor and downtrodden, and save children

In anticipation of St. Nicholas's nightly visits, Children in several European countries put their shoes in front of the fire place. They sing traditional songs and provide a carrot or hay for the horse.

Good Morning !

My babes used to set their shoes out by the fireplace before they’d go to bed . Usually St. Nick would leave some special treats for them to find the next morning! I wonder how many of my grand’babes’ will find treats in their shoes this morning???

When my family was growing up I always tried to make the holidays special. I can only hope some of them are being passed along. I can remember someone coming to my house for the first time when the table was set for dinner and asking if I was having a party? I told them no, this was just our ordinary evening supper table. Decorating or adding a little extra touch means a lot. It can turn an ordinary day into something very special !

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Keeping Christmas is good,

but sharing it with others is better.

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

Peace, dear friends,

Christmas love without end.

MA

 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOUNDS LIKE A NEAT TRADITION AND LVOE THE INFO ON ST NICHOLAS

Anonymous said...

What a lovely entry once again.I think my children and grandchildren will pass on many traditions.They already do lots I taught them.as for the dinner table,I too like to see a table look nice and just that little bit extra effort makes meals nicer.Like you it does make it rather special for a small effort.Silly too it may sound,but I always think the food tastes nicer.Not forgetting of course.
For what we are about to recieve .
May the Lord make us truly Thankful.Amen.
My father and mother would not let anyone eat until this was said.We were laways taught to say this short prayer.We were poor but lots of Love and good manners were taught us.We all still do say it now.One thing carried on by my family if nothing else.I even say it alone now by myself.I hope your Babes get something in there shoes????????Take care God Bless.Hope the sun shines a little for you.It is shining here in England today where I live .A lovely fresh sunny December day.
What more can one ask.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

I think kids do pass on traditions. They may change them a bit but the foundation stays with them always. : )

Have a lovely day,
Angela

Anonymous said...

Christmas traditions are very important to children.  I believe it gives them a sense of family and security.  
Beautiful entry!
Pam

Anonymous said...

When I first took up my post as manager at the sheltered housing complex for the elderly ,I reintroduced the custom of saying grace before a meal ,the elderly residents were so grateful ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

When i went away on my first mission we all took turns in saying grace and tried to find a different one each time.  The shortest one said was a bit cheeky but said with love 'Ta pa'.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

My little grandson is visiting (23 months old) and he left his little shoe on our fireplace and sure enough St. Nick came to visit.  He was delighted.  This was also something we did for our children and it is so nice to know that your children want to carry on the tradition.  

I am really enjoying reading your Christmas/Advent information.

Our son-in-law graduates from US Marine Corps Drill Instructor School on the 19th so my daughter and grandson will be traveling from Maryland to Parris Island, S.C. to see him graduate. He is being measured for his "Smokey Bear" hat this week.  It has been a long/hard three months.  Very challenging but he loves the challenge.  

Take care --- no snow here in Southern Maryland but it sure is cold -- in the 30's during the day.  Expect warm up next week tho.

Phyllis

Anonymous said...

I hope your children are indeed passing on those lovely traditions to their own children.
HUGS
penny