Monday, December 4, 2006

CHAPTER 12, PAGE 4

It is a quaint tradition that nobody wants to claim. And its story would not be the first tradition of Christmas born of a total fabrication. It is the little-known tradition of the Christmas pickle.

The Christmas pickle is not really a pickle at all. It is a pickle-shaped ornament that is the last one hung on the tree on Christmas Eve.

The first child to find the Christmas pickle gets an extra gift from Saint Nicholas. Or so the so-called legend goes. There are two other versions of the origins of the Christmas pickle.

One is a family story of a Bavarian-born ancestor who fought in the American Civil War. A prisoner in poor health and starving, he begged a guard for just one pickle before he died. The guard took pity on him and found a pickle for him. The pickle by the grace of God gave him the mental and physical strength to live on.

The other, perpetuated in Berrien Springs, MI, is a medieval tale of two Spanish boys traveling home from boarding school for the holidays. When they stopped at an inn for the night, the innkeeper, a mean and evil man, stuffed the boys into a pickle barrel. That evening, St. Nicholas stopped at the same inn, became aware of the boys' plight, tapped the pickle barrel with his staff, and the boys were magically freed.

Berrien Springs calls itself the Christmas Pickle Capital of the World. They celebrate with an annual Christmas Pickle Festival held during the early part of December. A parade, led by the Grand Dillmeister who passes out fresh pickles along the parade route, is the featured event. You may even purchase the German glass pickle ornaments at the town’s museum.

Rumor and speculation place the origin of this tradition in Germany. However few in modern-day Germany recognize or have even heard of the Christmas pickle. Some in West Germany blame generations of East Germans who may have had nothing more than pickles to decorate their Christmas trees with after World War II. But even families and historians in East Germany shrug at the mention of the Christmas pickle tradition.

Regardless of where it came from, the Christmas tradition survives. Ornament manufacturers continue to make the specialty decoration and enjoy perpetuating the myth of its legendary origins -- false though they may be.

GOOD MORNING !

We have one of those ‘Christmas Pickle ‘ ornaments that hangs on our tree every year . The babes always had fun finding it because the first to find it would get to open the first gift every Christmas morning. I can’t remember exactly where I found this ornament, but I know it’s become a family tradition here.

My tree is now an artificial one and it’s much smaller than any I ever had before. The space in my house is so limited when it comes to having all the family in at Christmas time, so this helps. When no one is here, this house seems huge…much more room that I really need. Oh well, for just a day here and there I guess we’ll survive being a little cramped.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

 Unless we make Christmas an occasion to share our blessings, all the snow in Alaska won't make it 'white'.

Bing Crosby

Peace, dear friends,

Christmas love without end.

MA

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delightful story ,havent heard it before ,.yes our tree is smaller these days ,for the same reason ,we simply havent the room ,but we love it just the same ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Oh I have been looking at houes and I found a doozy. One that has a 24 by 44 kitchen with tons of cabinets. its awesome simply awesome. would love to have it and we asked to go see it. NOW I have to see how big the livingroom is I paln on needing lots of space

Anonymous said...

I never heard of the Christmas pickle. You learn something new everyday.....even at my age. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

What a lovely traditional story I realy enjoyed it.I myself have not heard this before,so I cannot comment.I bet the children love seeking the pickle out of course who wouldn't? Yes I have experianced the feeling of a large home in the ast, when Family go home it does feel empty and too large,and like you always had a big tree.Now in a smaller home If I do get lots of company we manage but I do miss the space and the large tree which we always had when the family were young.Have a lovely day Take care God Bless.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Have not heard that story before.  My tree has shrunk over the years especially as we are not at home christmas day but go over my son's so his five kids can can 'do their thing'.  There usually ends up about 13 of us and i cook the turkey and take it over, along with crackers and nibbles for the evening, daughter takes the stuffing so it doesn't become too expensive for anyone.
Jenny <><
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jennyp51/stop-the-clock-times-moving-too-/

Anonymous said...

Hi there.  That is interesting about the Christmas pickle.  I am often in a Christmas pickle of my own at trying to get it all done....but other than that, I had never heard of the Christmas pickle. Thanks for sharing.  Hope you are doing well at work.  It was 61 in my office when I got here.  Now it's 70.  Much better.  
Sorry I'm so infrequently here to comment.  Believe it or not, you are on my "daily" read list but I never get down all my daily's and there are only about 8..  I have a weekly list and a whenever list.  I rarely make it thru the whenevers.  LOL.  Such a weird system, I know.

Anonymous said...

great story, I am going to pass it on to my buddies.
Thank you..

Anonymous said...

That was so interesting.... I don`t think I`ve heard about this pickle thing before! if I ever see a pickle ornament, I will buy it. :)
hugs
penny

Anonymous said...

I saw one of those pickle ornaments at Pier 1 a few years back and bought it for a German friend. It came with the story, and she knew it well as this was part of her Christmas growing up. Quite cute.