Monday, December 11, 2006

CHAPTER 12, PAGE 11

Whether the story of the candy cane is a legend or if it is true is not certain, but this is how the story goes:

About two hundred-thirty years ago at the Cologne Cathedral, the children that went to church there were really loud and noisy. They often moved around and would not pay attention to the choirmaster. This was especially difficult for the choirmaster when they were supposed to be sitting still for the long living Nativity ceremony.

So to keep the children quiet, he gave them a long, white, sugar candy stick. He couldn't give them chocolate or anything like that because the people at that church would think it was sacrilegious.

So he gave them the stick and he bent it on the end to look like a cane. It was meant to look like a shepherd's cane, and so it reminded the children of the shepherds at Jesus' birth.

In 1847, a German-Swedish immigrant in Wooster, Ohio put candy canes on his Christmas tree and soon others were doing the same. Sometime around 1900 candy canes came to look more like what we know them as today with the red stripes and peppermint flavoring.

Some people say the white color represents the purity of Jesus Christ and the red stripes are for the wounds he suffered. They also sometimes say that the peppermint flavoring represents the hyssop herb used for purifying and spoken of in the Bible.

The shape also looks like the letter "J" for Jesus, not just a shepherd's cane. It is possible that these things were added for religious symbols, but there is no evidence that is true.

Around 1920, a man in Georgia named Bob McCormack wanted to make candy canes for his family and friends. He later started mass-producing candy canes for his own business which he named Bob's Candies. This is where many of our candy canes come from today.

 

GOOD MORNING !

Back to work today ! I’m feeling good about what I got accomplished this weekend and am looking forward to being all done by the time next weekend is over. The only thing I’ll have to do is grocery shop before our Family Feast on the 23rd.

The weather has warmed up and if we get any precipitation this week it will be rain , not snow! That is just fine with me and besides the rain may wash off all that road salt that my car collected last week.

It should be another busy work week , but it won’t be long and things will slow down until the weather gets nice come Spring. I’ll be wrapping gifts most every evening this week and finding out who I still need to get something for Christmas. I’ve picked up things here and there and I’ll take inventory as I wrap.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

In the beauty of a snowflake

Falling softly on the land

Is the mystery and miracle

Of God's great, creative hand!

Helen Steiner Rice

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

Peace, dear friends,

Christmas love without end.

MA

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH iwish wed get some some snow some real snow. No one down here seems inthe spirit this weather cold cold bitter cold adn no snow then we get a warm up and its rian rian rain so frustrating. I tihnk I have heard more fussing this year about it down here. Everyone is really in a mood over it. I think this is because we are use to having snow nd this is going on five years with just dustings!!!!!!!!! and this year we had high hopes becuase ...........  it got cooler earlier

Anonymous said...

Very interesting about the candy canes.  They are very American, we tend not to have them over here.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

I'm happy all is falling into place for you and I know the coming familly get together will be wonderful. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

happy you had a good weekend. I love the story of the candy cane. Thanks for sharing. have a great day. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely ,though I have never thought about the candy cane, and have them on my tree , I love that story...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

It a lovely story about the candy cane.I believe this is what I have heard before.
Happy as I am too that as you say most things are falling into place now and hopefully all will be final by next week.end.Love your entry once again.I hope the sun shimes a little for you too and plenty smiles come your way.Take Care God Bless
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Today's entry seems particularly festive. I am sure it is a combination of the stories and the pictures, but the magic of Christmas seems to be oozing through and it feels great. Wishing you a pleasant work week that runs by quickly on swift little feet.

Anonymous said...

I liked the bit about 'come spring'.
Jenny <><
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jennyp51/stop-the-clock-times-moving-too-/

Anonymous said...

I have always loved the story about the candy cane.
It`s unusually warm here today in Ohio...55 degrees when I was out earlier!

~Penny
http://journals.aol.com/penniepooh/pennys-pieces-of-ohio/

Anonymous said...

I've got to figure out the inventory too.  I'm not excited about what I've gotten for anyone this year.  Even though I've had fun trying.  Nothing stands out as extraordinary, I guess.  Most things are practical.