Wednesday, December 13, 2006

CHAPTER 12, PAGE 13

LIGHTING OF THE FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE

On the first Christmas Eve all the living creatures of the earth and all the trees of the forest came to Bethlehem to honor the Christ Child. Many brought gifts.

The date palm offered its sweet fruit. The sandalwood brought nuts and fragrant flowers. And the olive tree's gift was its richest oils.

The little fir tree was unadorned and had nothing to give. An angel, feeling sorry for the sad tree, asked the stars to dance upon its boughs. They twinkled and sparkled and lit up the branches of the little, humble fir with a wondrous light.

The beauty of the first Christmas tree brought a smile of delight to the infant Jesus. To this day, the brightly lit Christmas tree continues to delight children of all ages all over the world.

GOOD MORNING !

Ah, Christmas trees ! Don’t you just love the smell of a freshly cut pine tree in your home? I light pine scented candles now. Here I have a very small artificial tree, but in days gone by we had the fresh ones that my DDH and the babes went to cut down at the tree farm.

It was always exciting to decorate the tree. My youngest son loves lights and one year put so many on my tree that my eyes hurt to look at it. We used to have some old fashioned bubble lights and they were my very favorite. I could sit and watch the bubbles for a long long time.

Memories of days gone by are so special, but the anticipation hasn’t gone away here…I love decorating and lighting the tree and I still love to sit and watch the lights twinkle even though they no longer bubble and they certainly don’t hurt my eyes. It’s really a rather restful, peaceful feeling.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall.

Larry Wilde,The Merry Book of Christmas

Christmas is a bridge.

We need bridges as the

river of time flows past.

Today's Christmas should mean

creating happy hours for tomorrow

And reliving those of yesterday.

Gladys Tabor

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

Peace, dear friends,

Christmas love without end.

MA

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your Xmas tree story.  Hope you have a good day.
Pam

Anonymous said...

yes I must admit the lights are mezmerizing. I like to sit in a dark room with just my village lights on. its peaceful and I even venture into my village in my mind seeing the shops and placese busy and in a winter wonderland

Anonymous said...

I love the lights. Relaxing and dreamy. I also love that my son-in-law makes a Christmas village that he adds to every year that looks beautiful and it's all lit up (inside the houses). I can stare at them for hours. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

I love your thought for the day. I love looking at trees and the decorations. They are so pretty. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I love Christmas trees even though we no longer have a real one.

http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

Anonymous said...

Your recollections bring back such nice memories. So peaceful and relaxing to sit by the tree and enjoy the glow of the lights and the glitter of the decorations. All the more better if you can take in the scent of a real live tree. I remember those bubble lights well and they were always fascinating to watch.

Anonymous said...

Ah sweet memorys ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

It can be a very peaceful, relaxing time of reflection.....if the hustle and bustle and financial strain isn`t bogging people down! It`s a shame that Christmas has become such a crazy commercial time. I remember sitting by the Christmas tree all evening when I was younger, just watching the twinkling lights like you described. Everyone should take some time out to do just that and reflect on the meaning of the season. Wouldn`t that be nice??  :)
hugs
penny

Anonymous said...

We have a Christmas tree candle of some sort by Yankee Candle.  Might be called Evergreen or Mistletoe or something like that.  Anyway, it smells just like that pine or fresh Christmas tree smell.   We light the candles at night and/or weekends, during the winter for added coziness and added spirit while we go about the house.  Hubby likes them, I think too as he always makes sure I have at least 2 Yankee candles.  LOL  I've been telling all the men I know to buy their wives one of those new candles they have at Cracker Barrell that has a wooden wick and sounds like a fireplace cracklin'.  I hope Hubby gets me one.  I think he will.  He knows I want one.  LOL