Tuesday, December 12, 2006

CHAPTER 12, PAGE 12

THE LEDGEND OF THE CHRISTMAS SPIDER

There are many miracles of Christmas.

From Germany comes the folk tale of the Christmas Spider -- a miracle that took place due to the simple house keeping chores associated with the season.

As the story was told, a family living in a small home worked together one Christmas Eve day to clean the house. They cleaned it from top to bottom. All the spiders living in the various parts of the house escaped to the attic as the cleaning took place.

 Later that evening, after all had gone to bed, they were delighted to see that at least one place in the home remained that would be suitable for a spider -- the Christmas tree!

Having nowhere else to go to spin their webs, they dashed up the trunk of the tree and leaped from branch to branch, spinning their webs and making for them selves a new place in which to live.

When Santa Claus (or the Christ Child, depending on which version of the legend you read) arrived he encountered the web-covered tree and somewhat of a difficult dilemma: did he keep the tree wrapped in spider webs and disappoint the family? Or should he remove the webs and destroy the spiders' new home (and ruin their Christmas in the process)?

Santa fixed everything. He turned the spider webs into shimmering silver strands that turned the tree into a brilliant decoration. His action thrilled the family - and saved the spiders.

That is why today many people decorate their tree with tinsel -- in honor of the Christmas Spider.

GOOD MORNING !

I remember when we used to put those shiny silvery threads of tinsel on our Christmas tree. We’d find pieces of it here and there all over the house long after Christmas was over. Now a days I don’t put the tinsel on and I wonder if there are many that still do?

Yesterday was one of those sleepy kind of days both at home and at work.. I moved through my work slowly and am not really sure that I accomplished much of anything. Today I’d better be awake and on my toes because I do have a lot to get done. My body was probably rebelling from all the things I got done over the weekend.

We are promised another warm day in the 50’s here. I know that this is very unusual and the cold and snow and ice will return, but for now I’m going to enjoy it.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others. Come to think of it, why do we have to wait for Christmas to do that?

Bob Hope

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

Peace, dear friends,

Christmas love without end.

MA

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH i have days that no matter what I do seems like Im moving fast but someone keeps pushing slow motion.  other days things get done and I'm amazed

Anonymous said...

Lovely story ,and yes make this Christmas love last all year ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I always put lamenta on my tree this year though I have gold lamenta on it.I jts love it dearly I think it just gives the tree a magical appearance.I usualy decorate the tree to match the colours in my lounge and this year it is red  green and gold the main colour, thus the gold lammenta (not Silver).Silver lamenta will go in my kitchen this week/end, when I decorate that to match all the steel and chrome  things I have in there and the red accssesories.Thankyou for the story.I agree we shouldn't have to wait for Christmas to show our love.God Bless hope you feel a little brighter today.
Astoriasand htttpJournals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

We are a tinsel family!  Phyllis

Anonymous said...

We are having warmer weather too. I do wish my allergies would take the switching of weather better.
You should try to get some more sleep. Changing weather patterns do make people sleepier this time of year especially.

Hope you have a boost of energy if you need it. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

We used to use the siver tinsel too, but I don`t any more.
That was an interesting story about the spider.
HUGS
penny