Wednesday, August 6, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 8, PAGE 6

God has given us these times of Joy

Psalm 81:4

A simple formula that people can use on a daily basis to enjoy their lives rather than constantly focusing on the future.

S - Stop

There is a simple truth of the human existence, and that is that most people simply do not take the time to STOP and think about all of the things that they have in their lives to be grateful for, and they also do not pat themselves on the back for having those things as a result of their own efforts

T - Take Action Assuming that you can see the wisdom of stopping on a daily basis to be grateful for the little things in life, now ask yourself what you can do to give back every day. Every single day, do one thing that is completely selfless. Stand at the entrance to the grocery store holding the door for a full 30 seconds as you see that elderly person using a walker heading in your direction. Pick up your neighbor's newspaper off of the sidewalk and take it up to their door. Give a knock just to hand it over and say "Hi' before moving on with your day. Wash the dish that someone else left in the sink even thought it isn't your responsibility.

O - Organize Sometimes the best times in our lives are completely "off the cuff" and we didn't even know that we were going to be taking part in those activities. On the other hand, by making sure that you have time for those activities, you open up a slot for your life to pop something wonderful in there. Every day, arrange your schedule and your responsibilities so that you have 30 or 60 minutes when you will have no responsibilities whatsoever. This is not exercise time, or time to run errands, or even a scheduled nap or meditation. This time is blank. Make no plans for it whatsoever The point is that no matter what you do with those 30 or 60 minutes, you send yourself the message that your life is about you. For at least 30 or 60 minutes you are going to do something that has absolutely nothing to do with anyone but yourself.

P - Participate The final step in this process is participation, and this is meant as proactive participation in your life, not reactive. Almost all of us go through life with a huge pile of things that we feel we should do, but how many of those things are conscious efforts to actually participate in the process of life, rather than just going with the flow? Not all things are as enjoyable as other things, but you are participating in the creative process of your life every single moment of every single day by the things that choose to do

Each moment is an opportunity to love, to appreciate, to give, to take, to dream, to learn, to relax--simply to be. Appreciate these moments, for they are all that we have right now, and how we feel in the future, when many of these moments will have passed us by, depends on how we act right now

A TIME TO ENJOY

 

GOOD MORNING !

It is Wednesday ! Over the Hump Day ! And as I choose to keep on working and have to get up very early in the morning, I have no one to blame but my self that I stayed up too late last night. I was out watering the flowers yet when I should have been heading to bed. Thanks to a sprinkler that went left when I thought it should be right I got a good soaking and had to clean up and dry off when I went in too. So I’m a little groggy this morning and hoping that my good cup of coffee perks me up a little.

Wednesdays are good days at work. I pay the bills so that gives me plenty to do. Tomorrow will be the slow day that will drag along. Probably Friday too.

Once I get home the rest of the day flies by as there is always a lot to do. This evening I’ll try to finish upthe laundry and maybe even iron a few things. I have clothes in my closet that haven’t been worn all summer because they need ironing. And I want to wear my Hawaiian shirt Friday. I’m making it my official beach day. DS#1 says they do this in his office and I thought it was a great idea. I just have to iron the shirt.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Appreciate every moment of every day

because in retrospect they

will all have gone by too fast.

M. Buchwald

May the Lord Bless YOU

With Peace as you experience

The JOYS of Summertime

MA

 

graphics by:

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you know how much your journal
means to me.  It helps me start my day
in a positive frame of mind,  and wisdom
to ponder in a frantic world.  Love,  Pat

Anonymous said...

Ironing is something I find relaxing. Isn't that weird?

Anonymous said...

I liked that list. Need to listen to it more often. Sometimes we get wrapped up in things that are really not that important. :-) Laughing here because I do not like to iron! Perma-press is wonderful; use to have to iron military clothing for hubby! lol Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

I can relate to those groggy mornings! I think I'm groggy EVERY morning. I hope you felt better after having your good coffee.
I like the idea of a Hawaiian theme Friday.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Beach Day Friday sounds good to me.  Cute Idea.  Hope you get the ironing done.  
Sonya