Thursday, August 14, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 8, PAGE 14

God has given us

these times of Joy

Psalm 81:4

A little story for you today

Recently a friend went to a beautiful vacation resort. He felt all set for a very special vacation, and as he went to bed his first night there he felt excited, only to wake up the next morning to a driving rainstorm that was certain to not go away for quite a while! "Oh well," Andy thought, "Might as well sleep a bit longer." He went down to breakfast at 10 a.m. and sat by a window as he watched the rain falling endlessly.

Just as he was finishing his meal he saw a man in the distance, slowly making his way towards the lodge. The man was walking very slowly as he supported himself with two arm-brace crutches. Andy sat transfixed, watching the man take one careful step after another, slowly making his way over the slippery terrain.

After about ten minutes time the man finally made his way to the lodge, and Andy jumped up to open the door and help him in. "Good morning," Andy said. "How are you doing?" "Best day of my life!" the man said with great enthusiasm. "How are you doing?"

Andy felt himself at a loss for words. "Could be better," he said in a hesitating voice, "but I'm doing OK." "What's the matter? Don't you like the rain?" the man asked. "The rain?" Andy said. "I was counting on going horseback riding today, so I must say that the rain does not please me." "I was counting on going horseback riding myself," the man said, "But walking in the rain is just as good if not better!"

Andy stood there and watched as the man slowly made his way through the lounge area. "Wow," he thought, "this guy must know something I don't!"

Later in the day, as the rain continued to fall, Andy saw the man sitting in the lobby and asked if he could have a seat nearby. "Sure," the man said. "Happy to sit with you and have a chat." And slowly the man's story unfolded.

Years ago he had been a champion equestrian, until one day he got thrown from a horse and was badly injured. He was unconscious for more than a week, and then he slipped in and out of consciousness for another week. Whenever he came to, he would lie there and listen for the voices of the staff and doctors who always came by the moment they realized he had regained consciousness.

"Every time I woke up and heard the staff," he said, "I was so happy to know I was still alive! Every time I woke up I understood that to be alive at all is truly a miracle!" "And I have kept that sense of miracle with me through the last fifty seven years.

Every morning when I first start to stir, and realize I am still alive, I am truly thankful. I realize that today could be the last day of my life, and it can also be the best day of my life, if I make it so

Told by Charlie Badenhop

A TIME TO ENJOY

GOOD MORNING !

THANKFULLY IT IS THURSDAY !

Life is such a miracle and we usually aren’t’ thankful enough for the blessing of it.

This will be my last day of work this week!  I’ll be heading for my campsite after work and won’t return til Sunday evening. Hopefully I’ll have some pictures to share with you when I get back.

We may get some rain today but the forecast for the weekend is only party cloudy. I watered the lawn and flowers again last night because they were so dry. We’ve been getting rain around us but not here. A good rain would do much more good than what I do, but it is better than nothing.

I AM VERY THANKFUL IT IS THURSDAY

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The rhythm of life is

the perfect combination of rest,

activity, and peace;

it ennobles us to become the unique

individuals we were created to be,

enables us to excel in all we do,

and empowers us with a certain

clarity of mind and peace of heart.

The best things in life are not things

and sometimes less is more.

Find your rhythm . . . and you will flood

your life with passion, creativity, and energy.

Matthew Kelly

May the Lord Bless YOU

With Peace as you experience

The JOYS of Summertime

MA

 

 

 

graphics by:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful reminder and exactly what I needed this morning!  I'm alive and life is GOOD!!  :)  Thanks, Linda

Anonymous said...

Have a great weekend.  I have to work friday but I hope to be out by 2pm.  This weekend is "girls weekend" at the camper.  Lots of girl friends coming out to enjoy the camper tomorrow!!  I can't wait!  Linda

Anonymous said...

That is a great story and so true. We sometimes just don't stop and think, do we. lol On my son's voice mail he ends it with "This is the day that the Lord hath made, be glad and rejoice in it." He explained when he started saying that last Sunday in his sermon. He got a depressed skull fracture and had to have surgery. It like 1/8 inch from hitting his brain. The rain helps my flowers so much better than me watering them. I love a light rain to water them. lol Sure you will have a wonderful time. Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

many congratulaions on being a fellow guest editors choice.see what jeanette  meant.  great journal.  take care  mort x

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Mazal Tov @ being chosen as a editor's journal. I am looking forward to reading more of your jounral.
Laini

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being selected as one of this week's Editor's Picks.

Hugs, Rose

Anonymous said...

May i congratulate you on being one of the guest editors pick this week. I too was chosen so popped across to say hello. Hope you have a lovely weekend and the weather is kind. Love Joan.
http://journals.aol.co.uk/jaymact1/JoansMusings/en

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being one of Jeanette's picks! You have a wonderful journal filled with inspiration....I will be back :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Ma,  I am just popping by as instructed by she who we must  obey ...Jeanette LOL
I am pleased that you have been given some publicity..Hopem that you will allow me to call again soon.    Sybil x

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry, Ma!  Oh, and congrats on being chosen as a guest ed pick!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being one of the Guest Editor's picks. You have a very nice journal and hope you have a wonderful camping trip. Come visit mine any time:).......alice

Anonymous said...

A lovely story and very inspirational.  Congrats on being a guest editor pick :o)
http://journals.aol.com/buckoclown/Bucko

Anonymous said...

congrats on being guest editor's pic
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

hello
I came to see you by way of Editor's Picks and I go on my way much cheered
I'll come visit again soon
Marti

Anonymous said...

just popped over to say congrats for being a guest editor's pick this week!

hope you enjoyed your weekend camping; sounds like a lot of fun :)

betty