Tuesday, August 26, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 8, PAGE 26

God has given us

these times of Joy

Psalm 81:4

When I found I no longer had the stamina to work long hours clearing the fallen limbs in the woods around my house, I began to bring a lawn chair and a thermos with me. I still work in the woods, but stop frequently to sit and have a cup of tea. I’ve identified birds I didn’t know lived here and evidence that a bobcat shares the property. Since I’ve slowed down some, I see things I never saw before and find that quiet solitude is not lonely but nurturing, allowing my heart to open to the signs and lessons of nature that surround me.

Sallirae Henderson

A TIME TO ENJOY

GOOD MORNING !

Yes, I have slowed down considerably. Years ago as a working Mom with 7 children I did a whole lot more than I do now. I do take time out to sit and rest before continuing my chores. I find more time to appreciate things around me that were not evident to me in the past. I was just too busy, I hear and see more now and I do less. Nature has a lot to teach us if we give her the chance.

Solitude has become a way of life for me most days. It is good that I’m now balancing out that part of my life by camping with my oldest son and his family and my daughter and her husband. Their laughter is like music to my soul.

We all have our own campers, but we do most things together. Still when we need the privacy we have our own little home in the woods to go to. My DSIL made the comment last weekend that there weren’t many son-in-laws that would go camping with their MIL’s. I guess that is probably true, but we all tend to get along well and have lots of fun. I hope that I’m never an indisposition to any of them.

As much as I love the camping I have to admit I wouldn’t be able to do so without the help of my family. It wouldn’t be half the fun if I were by myself either. It’s all a matter of keeping up a good balance. We all need some time to ourselves but we all need others too.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The foliage has been losing its freshness through the month of August, and here and there a yellow leaf shows itself like the first gray hair amidst the locks of a beauty who has seen one season too many.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

May the Lord Bless YOU

With Peace as you experience

The JOYS of Summertime

MA

 

 

graphics by:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we all need others.  Mike always included my mother in a lot of things and a few times she went away with us in the caravan.

Anonymous said...

I think you must have a very well rounded life and a peaceful one as well. You are truly blessed :)..........alice

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are able to balance it all out.  I am struggling right now with all my kids gone I am  hoping it gets easier soon.  I am on vacation now so it helps to have all my camping "family" around me.  Linda

Anonymous said...

I am glad you can experience these times of joy.  While
solitude is good for introspection,  I feel most complete
when I have my family around me.  I try to not lean too
much but my life without them would be nothing fun.  I
get much inspiration from your posting.  Thanks,   Pat

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have been able to camp this year.  I know you have enjoyed it so much and it's given you chances to be around family more.  
Take care and hope you are having a good Tuesday.  I have to go to a lunch, meeting a couple of lawyers to discuss a case.  Not my favorite lunch but I picked LongHorn as the meeting place.  lol  Maybe they will pick up the tab. lol
Sonya

Anonymous said...

Were are so very lucky to have loving family realtionships.  especailly in this day and age with so many many "broken families"  My Brother in laws 2 of them...always used to say how lucky they were with my Mum...and they miss her very much..
Love  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

I'd be willing to bet that they enjoy having you along as much as you enjoy being with them! It's wonderful that you have such an appreciation for nature...so many people don't. I suppose it depends on how you were raised, and my parents had (and still have) a great love and respect for the outdoors and beautiful scenery in our country.

Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

Anonymous said...

I have had many holidays with my family and In Laws we have always enjoyed them all.We  always took along my Mother with us on our holidays too,when she lost my Father..Wish she was still here to take now.I would love them more often with the family,but got to be thankful for small mercy's so that I am.I am sure they all love you there just as much as you love being with them.So enjoy whilst you can.Have a good evening Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

I love animals and nature. Both very beautiful. Nice that all of you get a long well. Yes we do need others. Wow! Labor Day will soon be here! Time does fly by quick! Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

I love the outdoors too.  It's one of God's beautiful Masterpieces!  I'm so glad that you & your family get along so well.  I know they wouldn't have it any other way ~ than having you with them at the campsite.  Have a good evening.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you bought your little camper and are enjoying your summer!!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

How very true. That is why I an=m enjoying my summer with my beloved.
Laini

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my journal via Beth at Nutwood Junction :o)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful outing! My Mom & Dad used to come & join us at Disney World for a week and my hubby always enjoyed them....it means you're a fabulous MIL :)

Nature is refreshing!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize you have 7 children!!! that is wonderful!!!

I find even at 50, I'm slowing down on what I used to be able to do even at 40, but it is nice just to sometimes take that extra time to get something done

awesome you found something that people enjoy doing together, i.e. camping :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Just because we slow down a little, it doesn't mean we have to stop!