Saturday, April 7, 2007

CHAPTER 4, PAGE 7

The famous author of The Power of Positive Thinking once told this story.

A man once telephoned Norman Vincent Peale. He was despondent and told the reverend that he had nothing left to live for.

Peale invited the man over to his office. Everything is gone, hopeless, the man told him. I'm living in deepest darkness. In fact, I've lost heart for living altogether.

Norman Vincent Peale smiled sympathetically. Let's take a look at your situation, he said calmly. On a sheet of paper he drew a vertical line down the middle. He suggested that they list on the left side the things the man had lost, and on the right, the things he had left.

You won't need that column on the right side, said the man sadly. I have nothing left, period. Peale asked, When did your wife leave you? What do you mean She hasn't left me. My wife loves me! That's great! Said Peale enthusiastically. Then that will be number one in the right-hand column— Wife hasn't left.

Now, when were your children jailed That's silly. My children aren't in jail!

Good! That's number two in the right-hand column— Children not in jail, said Peale, jotting it down.

After a few more questions in the same vein, the man finally got the point and smiled in spite of himself.

Funny, how things change when you think of them that way, he said.

GOOD MORNING !

Just when we think there is nothing to be thankful for, we do find there really are lots of things, if we take the time to count our many blessings.

I’m going to spend the day with Dad again . He is stronger, but really needs the help. Being by himself isn’t easy and my dear sister that cares for him relies on my help for this one day a week. If nothing else, I am keeping him company for the day.

Today I think I’ll pick up some breakfast sandwiches on my way over and we can have breakfast together. My next door sister brings our dinner over and then spends the rest of the evening also. Saturday is now DAD’S DAY for sure.

There is another two inches of new snow on the ground here this morning ! I’ll get my trusty broom out of the closet and sweep off the steps and walkways before I leave for the day. It is good exercise !

TODAY’S THOUGHT

I finally figured out the only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

Rita Mae Brown

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes we actually had a lot of snow too. I sure hope your dad is better son.

Anonymous said...

Your Dad must really look forward to Saturdays ,how lovely you still have him and can spend quality time with him ,give him a hug from me ..love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a good day with your Dad.
Pam

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you.
Jenny <><

Anonymous said...

You and your sister will be truly blessed for taking the time with your Dad.
Have a very Happy Easter!  Joni

Anonymous said...

In case I don't get online tomorrow, Happy Easter.

Angela

Anonymous said...

I loved that Norman Vincent Peale story!
I`m sure your dad appreciates your company. I hope he continues to feel better.
HAPPY EASTER

Hugs
Penny