Tuesday, April 10, 2007

CHAPTER 4, PAGE 10

A little story for you this morning …

The story is told of a king who owned a valuable diamond, one of the rarest and most perfect in the world. One day the diamond fell and a deep scratch marred its face.

The king summoned the best diamond experts in the land to correct the blemish, but they all agreed they could not remove the scratch without cutting away a good part of the surface, thus reducing the weight and value of the diamond.

Finally one expert appeared and assured him that he could fix the diamond without reducing its value. His confidence was convincing and the king gave the diamond to the man.

In a few days, the artisan returned the diamond to the king, who was amazed to find that the ugly scratch was gone, and in its place a beautiful rose was etched. The former scratch had become the stem of an exquisite flower!

God can turn the "scratches" on our souls into something beautiful.

Taken from God's Little Lessons on Life for Mom

GOOD MORNING

This week is the countdown to our Family Feast on Sunday. I have lots to do. As always, I’ve got all the clutter to pick up . The spare room and bathroom to freshen up and general cleaning to do. I got a few things done on Sunday, but will try to get a little more done each day this week.

 I can only take things little by little anymore. I do want to enjoy our family get together and not be totally worn out. The good news is that I have only the easy things to fix for dinner. Ham, baked beans and the deviled eggs. The ‘babes’ are bringing the rest and it sounds like we will be eating most of the day.

There was a day when fixing dinner for 9 was an everyday happening. I still have those huge pots and pans too ! I get them out on occasion when they all come home. We’ll be missing 3 of my sons and their families this holiday, so we should have only 12 for dinner this time.

Of course when they were all home, everyone helped out by doing something. Little ones set the table, big ones did the dishes, and always one of my boys was in the kitchen when I was cooking. They loved to eat and all of them became good cooks too. DD didn’t care much for kitchen work back then, but she  became a good cook after she got married. DS#2 never did tell his wife he knew how to cook…until I let it out of the bag one time when I was visiting them….oh dear.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position.

Leo Buscaglia

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart.

MA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohmy I bet his wife has held him to cooking some meals now lol I cant wait for your family pics I knowit will be fun and one thing about it being post poned a week. MAYBE you will have better temps for the gathering.

Anonymous said...

It will be lovely to have your family around you.  I love the memory of when you were all together.  Hmmm, yes I bet your son kept his culinary skills quiet for good reason.  Hugs, Terry x

Anonymous said...

It must be getting exciting, now the time is getting nearer to being with all your lovely family ,yes my boys can cook too ,I think that is the joy of a big family, they all learn to be part of a team ....love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Oh I bet you areso  excited at them all coming again together,how lovely for you.Yes when I used to cook for so many, it seemed so easy,but not nowadays.I am afraid we all need a little help now.I bet your DIL loves you forever more (letting the cat out of the bag) as the saying goes about DS2 being a good cook LOL.This made me smile.12 is quite a lot,but it's good to know all will be bringing there own thing along in the food line,it does make things that bit easier.Loved the King story very good indeed.Enjoy your Tuesday,don't overdo things getting ready for there visit.Take Care God Bless.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Son1 does not seem to be starving now that he is on his own, so I hope I taught him a thing or two in the kitchen even if he could never find the can opener, lol...
Happy Cleaning!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Don't worry so much about the house. They are coming to be with you. : )

Angela

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine cooking for 9 on a daily basis!  Wow!  I hope you didn't work out of the home then as well??  
Loved the Diamond story.  That was great.  Hope you enjoy your family visit.
Hugs to you, Pam

Anonymous said...

I wish i could cook good.  After 37 years of marriage i still burn the spuds.  loved the story.
Jenny <><