Wednesday, April 11, 2007

CHAPTER 4, PAGE 11

Remember me, God?

I come every day

Just to talk with You, Lord,

And to learn how to pray.

Helen Steiner Rice

Good Morning !

Just a little back round about myself for those of you that are new to my journal and maybe for the rest of you too ! I was able to be a SAHM until my oldest son was 13 and my youngest was 4. He was the only one of my children that went to Nursery School (as it was called then) Now it’s called Day Care.

I was offered a job at the school where my children attended as school secretary. I thought that was the perfect job at the time. Little did I know that computers would be introduced to my job that same year. I never got summers off like I thought I should, nor did my work day end when school did.

Thankfully by then I had some that were older and could help out a bunch. The 3 older boys were responsible for the 3 younger boys as far as getting dressed in the morning and making sure they had what they needed. They made sure their beds were made and the toys picked up.

I know it’s hard to believe that offices ever operated without computers, but they did. Computers were very new at the time and not everyone had them. (1984) It took hours and hours to put all that data on a computer and there were also many hours of classes that I had to attend in order to know how to do that too!

My husbandpassed away when DS#1 was in college and DS#2 had been in the military for almost 2 years (1992) I still had 4 sons and 1 daughter at home. Due to the fact that a church school doesn’t pay much I did get the job where I am now, .about 4 years afterwards. Now I work in a one gal office for a contractor.

It was all very hard on all of us, but we had each other and made do. I could literally write a book, maybe 2 or 3 about the times we got by on a shoestring, and the many blessings that were provided to us by God.

The babes worked their way through college except my military son and DS#4 – he attended the local Community college, but didn’t graduate and DD got a 2 year degree there and has now gone back to school. Sometimes I think they must be over achievers as they have all done very well and are living proof of what faith and determination can do.

Soooo, yes, I did work and prepare dinners for 9 people (believe me we rarely went out to eat- who could afford it) and keep house and do all the stuff that goes with having a family.

Thankfully as the children got older they did help out a lot. When DS#1 and DS#2 left home, I felt like I lost my right and left arms. When my husband passed away I lost my heart, when they all left home I felt completely empty and alone.

Through the goodness of God, I re-cooped , I still SMILE, I have regained my heart and soul and I do look forward to every day. I have been so blessed !!!

Some time I may write more about that time in my life, but usually I prefer to live in the present. It took many years to reach the place I am right now and I do rather like it.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful.

Annette Funicello

May your day be blessed with a few SMILES and lots of SUNSHINE to warm your heart !

MA

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is good you share about your past and how you got to where you are today. yes its the past but it is here TODAY for a living testimony that it CAN be done and others cna get thru it. It can be a beautiful love story the story of a husband nad wife and family that made it and turned out beautiful even withthe thorns that life passes our way. So yes please share more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this run down on your history. I really enjoyed it. It gave me a clearer picture of who you are.  I had wondered when your husband had passed on.  Wow you are a strong lady to have endured so much.  You really are!  
God Bless You!
Hugs and Love,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for sharing part of your life with us today.I felt sad it was hard bringing children up in our day and age I thought.Not all the modern day things there are today.I am pleased your family did so well and yes with determination you can just about do anything.Sorry to read you lost your Dear Husband you are a very strong person,dealing alone with that without the worry of the family to deal with alone.I thoughtit hard cooking and cleaning for six.Plus working around them all too.Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful I agree 100% on that one.Take Care You are a credit to your family and they a credit to you.God Bless.Have a lovely day.I hope you get a efw smiles and a little sunshine too.
Astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Oh thank you for sharing all of that.  I knew a lot of it but not all of it.  You are the Proverbs woman.  :>)  A ruby to be cherished.  A blessing to hear from others too.  You have been strong and have these wonderful children who love and cherish you.  Yes, I believe God was thinking of you when those words were penned by the writer.

Anonymous said...

I understand more than most I think because I too have 7 children but I didn't work so I can imagine how hard it was for you. You have wonderful children too. God bless you and them. Sandra

Anonymous said...

I so admire you...... as I grumble with my three. lol....
Happy Hump Day!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have fabulous kids, and you sure have a fabulous attitude. Thanks for sharing your story.

Anonymous said...

I know how hard this can be I too was left a widow with four children ,,,you get on with it dont you ? ....Jan xx