Monday, June 5, 2006

CHAPTER 6,PAGE 5

A clothesline was a news forecast

To neighbors passing by.

There were no secrets you could keep

When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link

For neighbors always knew

If company had stopped on by

To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the fancy sheets

And towels on the line;

You'd see the company table clothes

With intricate design.

The line announced a baby's birth

To folks who lived inside

As brand new infant clothes were hung

So carefully with pride.

The ages of the children could

So readily be known

By watching how the sizes changed

You'd know how much they'd grown.

It also told when illness struck,

As extra sheets were hung;

Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,

Haphazardly were strung.

It said, "Gone on vacation now"

When lines hung limp and bare.

It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged

With not an inch to spare.

But clotheslines now are of the past

For dryers make work less.

Now what goes on inside a home

Is anybody's guess.

I really miss that way of life.

It was a friendly sign

When neighbors knew each other best

By what hung on the line!

Author Unknown

GOOD MORNING !

Years ago before we moved to the house I live in right now I was blessed with a clothes line. Now I don’t even have room for one. I loved the smell of sheets that had been dried by the sun. Maybe my summer project should be finding a space somewhere that I can put one up .

Yesterday, as it was on the cool side, I made of pot of chili, so this week all my dinners will be ‘chili’ . Maybe I’ll even get some hot dogs and have chili dogs a night or two.

I do think it’s supposed warm up to the upper 70’s or lower 80’s today. That is just about perfect temperatures in my books… Thank you Lord.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.

John Lubbock

May your day be blessed with a few smiles and a little sunshine to warm your heart !

MA

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we were craving chilie all weekend !!!!!!!! it was so cool camping. I love your clothes line story. that is true. Mom and dad still dont have a dryer to this day

Anonymous said...

I loved your poem about the clothes line.  I still have a clothes line in my back yard (we live out in the country).  I have been married 33 years and had two children and I just bought a clothes dryer this past spring (washer went up and the sale was too good my husband said not to get the dryer too).  I still have yet to use it but it is a good feeling that I could dry things if the weather prevents me from hanging clothes outside.  Have a great day --- I've got laundry to do. :) Love, Phyllis

Anonymous said...

I love the clothes line poem... thanks. I was wondering what your first name is???? if you ever said I can't remember it just doesn't seem right to think of you as Ma when you are probably younger than me  :)  Sandra

Anonymous said...

I sometimes think the outdoor air today isn't clean enough to dry the clothes on a clothesline. So many cars here now....fumes.
It's very cold today. I expected warmer weather. It's still very overcast and damp.....in the 60s but feels colder.

Angela

Anonymous said...

hope you enjoy your chili, it sounds good.