Thursday, June 1, 2006

CHAPTER 6, PAGE 1

CITY OF REGRET

I had not really planned on taking a trip this time of year,

and yet, I found myself packing rather hurriedly.

This trip was going to be unpleasant

and I knew in advance that no real good would come of it.

I'm talking about my annual "Guilt Trip".

I got tickets to fly there on "WISHIHAD" airlines.

It was an extremely short flight.

I got my baggage, which, I could not check.

 I chose to carry it myself all the way.

It was weighted down with a thousand memories

of what might have been.

No one greeted me as I entered the terminal

to the Regret City International Airport.

I say international because people

from all over the world come to this dismal town.

As I checked into the Last Resort Hotel,

I noticed that they would be hosting the year's

most important event, the Annual Pity Party.

I wasn't going to miss that great social occasion.

Many of the towns leading citizens would be there.

First, there would be the Done family, you know, Should Have,

Would Have and Could Have.

Then came the I Had family. You probably know ol' Wish

and his clan. Of course, the Opportunities would be present,

Missed and Lost.

The biggest family would be the Yesterday's.

There are far too many of them to count,

but each one would have a very sad story to share.

Then Shattered Dreams would surely make an appearance.

And It's Their Fault would regale us with stories (excuses)

about how things had failed in his life,

and each story would be loudly applauded by Don't Blame Me

and I Couldn't Help It.

 Well, to make a long story short, I went to this depressing

party knowing that there would be no real benefit in doing so.

And, as usual, I became very depressed.

But as I thought about all of the stories of failures brought

back from the past, it occurred to me that all of this trip and

subsequent "pity party" could be canceled by ME!

I started to realize that I did not have to be there.

I didn't have to be depressed.

One thing kept going through my mind, "I can't change

yesterday, but I do have the power to make today

a wonderful day".

I can be happy, joyous, fulfilled, encouraged,

as well as encouraging.

Knowing this, I left the city of Regret immediately

and left no forwarding address.

Am I sorry for the mistakes I've made in the past?

YES! But there is no physical way to undo them.

So, if you are planning a trip to the city of Regret,

please cancel all your reservations now.

Instead, take a trip to a place called Starting Again.

I liked it so much that I have now taken up

permanent residence there.

My neighbors, the I Forgive Myself and the New Starts

are so very helpful.

By the way, you don't have to carry around heavy baggage,

because the load is lifted from your shoulders upon arrival.

You too, can find this new town,

just ask the Lord to show you the way.

Now I live on ICANDOIT street.

Author unknown to me

GOOD MORNING!

Well yesterday evening, the house was sweltering and I really felt done in with the heat, so I succumbed to temptation and turned the air conditioning on. I know I’ll regret it, when the electric bill comes, but hopefully it will only be the one night for awhile.

Cooler temps are supposed to be with us today, as a front came thru overnight with some storms of course. After I turned on the a/c, I took a quick shower and sprayed my self with some Jean Nata. It has a wonderful clean, citrus smell , then I felt like a new person!

I know, I’m a wimp…

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

God made the world round so we would never be able to see too far down the road.

Isak Dinesen

May your day be filled with a few smiles and lots of sunshine to warm your heart.

(But not so much that you need a/c)

MA

 

graphics by:

www.graphicgarden.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes we had  a muggy 98 degrees yesterday and storms again but its cooling down and I m not compalinag about hot after our late cold spell lol

Anonymous said...

no you are not a wimp... your body was begging you to cool it down and you did and I bet you had a good nights sleep and feel better today for it too.... Maybe the electric bill won't notice what you did. LOL  Sandra

Anonymous said...

Today was my air-conditioner day. Very hot......close to 90 and then lots of storms.

Angela

Anonymous said...

My AC has been on and set at 78 for two months now... Whenever I turn it off and open the windows, the tempurature in the house starts going up... even when it is nice outside... Just don't get it...
Have a great weekend!
Linda :)