Thursday, June 29, 2006

CHAPTER 6, PAGE 29

A LITTLE REMINDER

A few years ago at the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.

At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times and began to cry.

The other eight heard the boy cry. They slowed down and looked back. They all turned around and went back. Every one of them.

One girl with Down's Syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better." All nine linked arms and walked across the finish line together.

Everyone in the stadium stood, and the cheering went on for several minutes. People who were there are still telling the story.

Why? Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What truly matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.

Good Morning !

My 5 day vacation from work starts tomorrow – I’m so excited ! I have the looooong list of things to do here and am looking forward to whittling it down!

Only 2 of the days are actually vacation days. I’d have Saturday and Sunday off anyway. And then Tuesday is the 4th of July holiday.

So, this is my FRIDAY at work. I’ve got things pretty well wound up and feel like everything that I usually do is done. I really could only work 4 days a week all the time and get it all done, but then no one would be there to answer the phone, get the mail and deliveries and SMILE occasionally when someone does come into the office.

I know when I get back to work next Wedneday there will be a huge pile on my desk of mail and things to do and it will be payroll day to boot! I’ll tackle that job when the time comes, but in the mean time I am looking forward to VACATION !

Thought for Today

Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold. But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow.

Douglas Pagels, These Are the Gifts I'd Like to Give to You

May your day be blessed with a few smiles and lots of sunshine to warm your heart !

MA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you have a vacation coming up. Now you have a grea t time off and take it easy. your story up top I have always loevd that

Anonymous said...

What inspiring thoughts you have noted for today.  I sense your great anticipation at having five days off and I am happy for you. Five whole days to do as you please sounds almost decadent. Pour yourself an extra cup of coffee in the morning and enjoy !! Oh, and Happy July 4th to you.

Anonymous said...

I love the story of the special olympics. I hope you have a relaxing vacation.