Friday, June 23, 2006

CHAPTER 6, PAGE 23

 

A 12 step program to the Good Life

1. Live a simple life. Be temperate in your habits. Avoid self-seeking and selfishness. Make simplicity the key-note of your daily plans. Simple things are best.

2. Spend less than you earn. This may be difficult, but it pays large dividends in contentment. Keep out of debt. Cultivate frugality, prudence and self-denial. Avoid extravagance.

3. Think constructively. Train yourself to think clearly and accurately. Store your mind with useful thoughts. Stand porter at the door of your mind.

4. Cultivate a yielding disposition. Resist the common tendency to want things your own way. See the other person's viewpoint.

5. Be grateful. Begin the day with gratitude for your opportunities and blessings. Be glad for the privilege of life and work.

6. Rule your moods. Cultivate a mental attitude of peace and good will.

7. Give generously. There is no greater joy in life than to render happiness to others by means of intelligent giving.

8. Work with right motives. The highest purpose of your life should be to grow in spiritual grace and power.

9. Be interested in others. Divert your mind from self-centeredness. In the degree that you give, serve, and help will you experience the by-products of happiness.

10. Live in a daytight compartment. This means living one day at a time. Concentrate on your immediate task. Make the most of today.

11. Have a hobby. Nature study, walking, gardening, music, golfing, carpentry, stamp collecting, sketching, voice culture, foreign language, books, photography, social service, public speaking, travel, authorship, are samples. Cultivate an avocation to which you can turn for diversion and relaxation.

12. Keep close to God. True and enduring happiness depends primarily upon close alliance with Him. It is your privilege to share His thoughts for your spiritual nourishment, and to have constant assurance of divine protection and guidance.

by Grenville Kleiser

GOOD MORNING!

I think I must be living the GOOD LIFE and didn’t even realize it. After I went over the list above, I found very few things that I don’t already strive for. Isn’t that the way, we often don’t appreciate what we have when we’ve got it.

It’s FRIDAY morning and as usual I’m sipping my good coffee and looking forward to the weekend. There seems to be nothing on my schedule except for the usual ‘house blessing’, my visit with Dad, and church on Sunday.

Quiet lazy hazy days of summer are upon us. Next weekend is the 4th of July weekend. That means I will have 5 straight days off from work and I plan to get a lot done around here. That will be my summer vacation as there will be no more days off til Labor Day.

The usual weekend just skims the top off things needing to be done.

I OWE, I OWE … its off to work I go

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

The time will come when winter will ask you what you were doing all summer.

Henry Clay

I hope your day is blessed with a few smiles and lots of sunshine to warm your heart

MA

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah welll its not so lazy here the air man did not show up and im miffed worked so hard to dig that yard out and nwo its washed back in he said he would show here an d now he cliams its hot. WELL its hot for toddd too and he goes to work with no central air what if todd said its 150 degrees in that paint booth and did not finish his car!!!!!!!!! ??????? well now I got dogs tracking in and mudd and the rains are flooding washing our dirt to replace the back yard away and the ditch will have to be redug and the dogs have loved playing drgaggin that in!!!!!!!!! and well Im leaving to camp today so no way to and I told him this for us to be here to get this done!!!!!!! I could use some prayer tis very upsetting nad mess and now I ll know all camping weekend that I have to deal with this and come back to it and who knows if he even cares enough to come finish it!!!!!!! I sure trusted this older gentleman and before he seemed to hop right on it !!!!!!!! so pray for us I dont know what we will do leaving the house like this it sure puts a damper on things

Anonymous said...

have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

I'm still working on #3 and #6...
Have a great weekend!
Tell Dad HI!
Linda :)