Monday, June 12, 2006

CHAPTER 6, PAGE 13

SENIOR CITIZENS

I have always dreaded old age. I could not imagine anything worse than being old. How awful it must be to have nothing to do all day but stare at the walls or watch TV.

So last week, when the mayor suggested we all celebrate "Senior Citizen Week" by cheering up a senior citizen, I determined to do just that.

I would call on my new neighbor, an elderly retired gentleman, recently widowed, who, I presumed, had moved in with his married daughter because he was too old to take care of himself.

I baked a batch of brownies, and, without bothering to call (some old people cannot hear the phone), I went off to brighten this old guy's day.

When I rang the doorbell this "old guy" came to the door dressed in tennis shorts and a polo shirt, looking about as ancient and decrepit as Donny Osmond.

"I'm sorry I can't invite you in," he said when I introduced myself, "but I'm due at the Racquet Club at two. I'm playing in the semi-finals today."

"That's all right," I said. "I baked you some brownies..." "Great!" he interrupted, snatching the box. "Just what I need for bridge club tomorrow! Thanks so much!"

"...and I just thought we'd visit a while. But that's okay! I'll just trot across the street and call on Granny Grady."

"Don't bother," he said. "Gran's not home; I know. I just called to remind her of our date to go dancing tonight. She may be at the beauty shop. She mentioned at breakfast that she had an appointment for a tint job."

I called my Mother's cousin (age 83); she was in the hospital...working in the gift shop. I called my aunt (age 74); she was on vacation in China. I called my husband's uncle (age 79). I forgot; he was on his honeymoon.

I still dread old age, now more than ever. I just don't think I'm up to it.

Author Unknown

I'm saying GOOD TUESDAY MORNING on Monday evening !! Once again our journals editor person had an alert that journals will be out between 4 and 6 tomorrow morning.  Soooo I'm posting tonight.

I didn’t write the poem above, but I could have. Alot of the Senior Citizens I know, are very busy people. I haven’t retired yet, but I know I’d never be bored. There are just too many things I like to do. My ‘list’ is unending and I have lots of stuff stashed away for when I get some extra free time.

I always say I like ‘ordinary’ days, mostly because there there’s a possibility that I might just get to do something on my list. Of course,  top on the list each weekday morning is going to work—maybe that does sound easier than retirement!

TODAY’S THOUGHT

We can't have all bright days,

But one thing is true,

No cloud is so dark

That the sun can't shine through

Helen Steiner Rice

I hope your day be blessed with a few smiles and lots of sunshine to warm your heart !

MA

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first I did think you had written the story above... lol...
Have a great Tuesday!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I had to sahre that with a few friends yup Im not up to old age!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

liked the poem a lot and I hope you have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Some of the pensioners around here make me feel old - I'm only 59!! I always dreaded old age, but don't think about it any longer, just make the most of the little things in life and live for today. A good laugh helps too. Take care.
Sylvia xx