Tuesday, July 29, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 7, PAGE 29

What a desolate place would be

a world without flowers.

It would be a face without a smile,

a feast without a welcome.

Are not flowers the stars of the earth?

And are not our stars the flowers of heaven?

Clara Balfour

GOOD MORNING !

I couldn’t imagine a world with out flowers. Of course during the winter we don’t have many except for the ones from the florist or the silk variety. But from early spring through late fall we have them in abundance.

It is true that when we don’t have something, it is treasured all the more. For the first time this year, our flower garden is beginning to look a little dry. Rain is supposed to come our way this evening so they’ll get a good watering.

On the country road that takes me to church every Sunday there is a border of beautiful blue flowers that goes on for several miles. They look as though someone had purposely planted them there. Nature is the one that planted them as they are wild flowers. Sometimes what we think of as a weed outshines the others.

Our flower beds at home right now are filled with sunflowers. We didn’t plant them either. The birds did. My next door sister has fed the birds for several years, but this is the first time we’ve had this many sunflowers come up from the birds dropping the seeds. Nature never fails to amaze me.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

When we look deeply into the heart of a flower,

 we see clouds, sunshine, minerals, time, the earth,

 and everything else in the cosmos in it.

 Without clouds there could be no rain,

and without rain there would be no flower.

Thich Nhat Hanh

The summer heat is coming,

and so I'm sending you a wish

to stay cool beneath the scalding sun.

I hope the summer is a great one,

with lots of fun and excitement.

But should the heat become,

too hot to bear, and should trouble find you,

I hope you'll remember to fly as gracefully

as a butterfly above it all.

Just slip your sunglasses on, kick back,

and let the woes slide on by.

MA

 

 

graphics by:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your flowers are beautiful. The sunflowers are so pretty and to think they are growing there because they want to. How nice of the birds to send you this gift. I must admit that bug gives me the creeps a bit. Never seen one of those and it is rather large.

Anonymous said...

The flowers are beautiful. I love flowers but don't grow them well. Blessings, Janie

Anonymous said...

I love those colors, very pretty garden you have.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed seeing all of your flowers. I love flowers but do not have many around here in my yard.
Pam

Anonymous said...

I love all your flowers.... there is a stretch of freeway that has wildflowers galore down the middle of the road by the next city over, that is just amazing....
Linda :)