Wednesday, July 16, 2008

BOOK 08, CHAPTER 7, PAGE 16

No bought potpourri is so pleasant

as that made from ones own garden,

for the petals of the flowers

one has gathered at home

hold the sunshine and memories of summer,

and of past summers

only the sunny days should be remembered.

Eleanor Sinclair-Rhode

GOOD MORNING !

I have a long list of happy times and sunny days that I can remember.

I remember going on picnics with my children and their dad teaching them to fish.

I remember hiking trails with the Cub Scouts at Summer Camp when I was a den leader for my boys and many many others.

I remember the fresh smell of little ones after a bath on a hot sticky day.

I remember building sand castles with moats around them

I remember staying with a friend and her family at the beach for a week when I was young…

I remember turning on the water sprinkler for the babes to run through

I remember the window fans that would lull you to sleep long before air conditioning became so popular.

I remember going to church with a summer hat, white gloves and shoes and purse to match. Oh, we never went without nylons and most of us wore something to hold the stockings up. The church didn’t have a/c either, but we never complained.

I remember walking the dusty roads winding around the hills and catching crayfish in the creek at my grand parent’s farm.

I remember fishing off their swinging bridge that crossed the creek and catching little blue gill.

Oh…there is lots more too…but that’s enough for today. I’ve so many happy sunny moments to be treasured.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Happy times and bygone days are never lost. . . In truth, they grow more wonderful within the heart that keeps them.

Kay Andrew

I hope the summer is a great one,

with lots of fun and excitement.

But should the heat become,

too hot to bear, and should trouble find you,

I hope you'll remember to fly as gracefully

 as a butterfly above it all.

Just slip your sunglasses on, kick back,

and let the woes slide on by.

MA

 

GRAPHICS BY:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely memories knowone can take away from you.You will have me thinking back this evening now.One of my favourite memories is the one when the babes were all bathed and the smell of them all lined up ready for there beds.Ahhh wonderful.Thankyou for sharing them with us.Here in my part of England,we are trying hard to enjoy our summer though still we have rain cloud  and very windy too.So I am afraid our sunglasses are still tucked away LOL!!Have a lovely day.Take Care God Bless Kath astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

Anonymous said...

Memories are precious, sounds like you have some good ones:)

Anonymous said...

You have so many happy memories of sunny days ~ and I enjoyed reading about them ~ Our Summer isn't very good at the moment but I am sure there will be memories that we can treasure whatever the weather ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful memories. Sure you will be able to remember more. Have a blessed week. Janie

Anonymous said...

Summer memories to me also are much better than winter ones :-)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading about the happy summer times....