Thursday, July 28, 2005

Thankfully Thursday

  The famous Serenity Prayer used by Alcoholics Anonymous and other such groups was written in the summer of 1943 during a time when WWII was not going well for us. The Reverend Reinhold Niebuhr wrote it while serving as pastor of a Lutheran congregation in Heath, Massachusetts.

Once again, while we are in a war that seems endless and in which we feel so powerless, perhaps it would be good to reflect on each of the phrases of:

THE SERENITY PRAYER

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference -
living one day at a time, enjoying one moment at
a time -
accepting hardship as a pathway to peace - taking, as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it -trusting that You will make all things right if I surrender to Your will - so that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with You forever in the next. Amen.  

 Please join me in praying for all our troops !  

  Good Morning !

  We had a nice long rain yesterday and hopefully it will be nice today so our painter can get somemore done.  With all this rain, I'll soon need to cut the grass and the back yard is loaded with ladders and paint buckets.    Guess I'll just have to trust in the good Lord toprovide !  

***Big Smile ***  

 Have a blessed day all !  

MA  

  
Just for today,
I will be happy.
Abraham Lincoln said,
"Most folks are about as happy
as they make up their minds to be."
He was right.
I will not dwell on thoughts
that depress me.
I will chase them out of my mind
and replace them
with happy thoughts

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

well thankful I m here but NOW You I m not handling this so well. we in this weather dont have any central air. Its up in our attic. Tracy said her ceiling was wet. We went up and there is frost on the unit and its all dripping on the ceiling now the insulation is wet and all. YUCK but last I heard it will be days before they can get to us and so we dont loose our ceiling we just turned the unit off. UGH!!!!!!!!!!! LIke I needed that!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I had never seen the serenity prayer other than the first couple of lines.  I think that was b/c it is in so many movies.  But it's a very nice prayer and one that gives hope.  I'm surprised now that groups would use it b/c it has God in it.  You know how various organizations are always trying to take God out of everything so no one would be offended if they were an atheist or had a god that was not real.  But it is a blessing that the AA prayer has God in it.  It might actually lead someone to Him.

Hope you have a good day.
Sonya

Anonymous said...

OH, and I love the Lincoln saying. : )
Angela

Anonymous said...

Love the Serenity Prayer.....Never knew its origin. Thanks.
Came by to wish you a happy weekend.
Angela : )