Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Warm Weather is Finally Here!

 

 

Lesson Learned from a Bluebird

One morning I was in the park, 
Just as the sun was rising, 
Few people then were up and out, 
Which, of course, was not surprising.

I liked being there alone, 
Although let me qualify, 
I really wasn't by myself, 
It was my God and I. 

I was talking up a blue streak, 
As I told God all my plans, 
I also did not hesitate, 
To make some prayer demands.

A Glorious God! A Glorious Day! 
And, oh, how glorious felt I! 
I was content and happy, 
I was so satisfied!

I mused a bit about myself, 
Yes, I think I've done things right, 
I go to church most Sundays, 
And often Wednesday nights.

I tithe with regularity, 
Support causes I think just, 
Buy Girl Scout cookies at my door, 
And other things I must.

I like to hear the clink, clink, clink, 
Of coins against metal, 
When at Christmas time I drop some in, 
A Salvation Army kettle.

I write a good check every year,
To The Cancer Institute,
And I make an annual payment,
For Easter Seals, to boot

I pack up the old clothes, 
That I no longer wear, 
There is this truck that picks them up, 
Delivers them to Welfare.

I felt so good about myself, 
I felt righteous; I felt proud, 
I could always walk in public, 
With my head above the crowd

With that, I straightened up my shoulders, 
Thinking, yes, I've done a lot, 
God must surely love me now, 
For sharing what I've got.

I think I've earned a place in heaven, 
Where I'll spend eternity, 
I felt very comfortable, 
And I walked on happily

Then I looked up and spotted, 
A lovely bluebird in the sky, 
A harbinger of happiness, 
A divine sign from up on high.

I watched it circling in the air,
It seemed to stay with me,
My own Bluebird of Happiness,
Such a joyful sight to see

Then, suddenly it stopped,
And hovered in the air,
I had no cover for my head,
It sent a missile to my hair!

Now, do not laugh at my distress,
At the lesson of the bluebird,
I got my due comeuppance,
I felt humbled and absurd

God can't abide man's foolish pride,
That is the moral of my tale,
Self-righteousness is not of God,
And homes in heaven aren't for sale

by Virginia Ellis

 

When I read this little poem, I just had to share it.  I've been in this spot so many times...Thinking how well I've done and then turn around and make one of the biggest mistakes ever...

The good Lord keeps me very humble.

Then let us, one and all, be contented with our lot;

The June is here this morning,

and the sun is shining hot;


Oh! let us fill our hearts up with the glory of the day,

 
And banish ev'ry doubt and care and sorrow far away.

James Whitcomb Riley

Good Morning !

Have a great day !

May God Bless you and yours!!!

ma

 

 www.creativeladiesministry.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We would have warm temps if the winds which have been blowing for two weeks woudl stop. 70's ust aint hot when you got 16 mph and 20 mph east wind!!!!!! OH how I want summer

Anonymous said...

Happy June.  And may God bless you too.